Thread: camera

Default camera

Is anyone using either the olympus 770SW or the 720SW?
    They are both impact & crush resistant, the 770 is good to 30 ft under water the 720 10ft they also have the zoom mech inside the body of the camera which sounds good to me. On paper they sound like they would be great inspection cameras, but I do not know anyone with first hand experience with them so any feedback would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: camera

I try to by fairly cheap cameras. I like the Cannon Power Shots, they work good in low light and in the dark. You can pick up last years on clearance at many stores. I have been using a Cannon A410 with 3.2 Mega Pixels for about two years now. It can focus in a dark attic and that is a plus. Uses 2 AA batteries and a SD Flash card. I think I paid around $100 for it on clearance.

If I can get a couple of years out of a camera I'm a happy camper!

770 has 7 Mega Pixels, IMO that that is too large for what we do. I don't know how small you can get a picture, but I have my A410 set on the lowest setting and they average around 130kb, and that is more than enough.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 06-10-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I like the Optio 33WR/43WRs - water and dust resistant, takes AAs and SDs, around $120 new on eBay, takes good pics.

John, I have not had experience with that particular camera, but my first digital was an Olympus. I still use the bundled software for some photo editing. It was a good camera for its day, but it did not have an optical zoom. I got about 4-5 years service and it was still going strong when I retired it. I still use it for my backup, just in case something dies on the Cannon I use now. I have a high opinion of Olympus cameras in general just because of how durable this one was.

One thing I saw while researching the Olympus 770sw, It does not have an optical veiw finder, a big negative in my experience. I take lots of outdoor, attic shots that are very difficult to get while trying to use the LCD screen. I may have to change my tune though since most smaller cameras don't have optical view finders now.
    Jim

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 06-11-2007 at 07:42 AM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

How do you post a new message on here?

Tony,
    Go up and click on the IN logo.
    Pick the category you want to start a thread in. Click on it.
    Look in the upper left corner. You'll see a new thread button. Click on it.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

John,
    I have the 770SW and like it very much for what I use it for. I use it on rainy days {waterproof} and for some tight crawlspaces.{crushproof} I mostly use my Olympus SP-550uz, this camera is especially good for areas that I can't get as close to inspect as I would like. It has an 18x optical zoom and EVF.
    John C

Terry Neyedli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Callan View Post
    John,
    I have the 770SW and like it very much for what I use it for. I use it on rainy days {waterproof} and for some tight crawlspaces.{crushproof} I mostly use my Olympus SP-550uz, this camera is especially good for areas that I can't get as close to inspect as I would like. It has an 18x optical zoom and EVF.
    John C
    Mine is the Pentax Zoom90-WR. Best camera for the dollars.
    This is the second one I've had. And two in reserve.
    The first bounced twice after sliding off the second story roof on to the concrete driveway. It was brand new. As it slid I saw the dollars float off into thin air. Bye-Bye!
    The moral? Never put the camera on the roof and hope that your foot will prevent it slipping.
    T.Neyedli
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca

Brian Connelly Guest

Hi John! I've had the 720 SW for a little over a year now and love it. The only downside is the 3X optical and 5X digital zoom. Wish it had greater
    optical.

The 770SW looks interesting but too expensive for my needs. I am currently using an Olympus C730 UltraZoom and a D-370. I love the C730 for its 10X optical zoom. We get plenty of rainy days here and if I spot something on the roof I can get a good shot of it even when its not safe to walk the roof. The d-370 is my crawlspace camera. I can push it along the dirt and not worry about it. I bought backups of each off of eBay for 25% of the original price. I have dropped the C730 at least twice and it keeps going.

Save your money and buy lower tech gear,

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956