Alan C Grubb Guest

Default Dual Entrance in Bed Room, Both need Switch

I unfortunately had the misfortune of having my vehicle broken into and the spare bag that had my code check book in was taken. Enough of my issues. A client recently had a new door added to an upstairs bedroom that is used as a nursery. I am of the mind that it needs a three way switch installed as the old door and switch are still operable but not used. I spoke with a county inspector and he agreed but could not give me the code. Does anyone know what the quote is?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Dual Entrance in Bed Room, Both need Switch

Door and a light switch!

Alan, you can get all of your answers here.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ht-switch.html

Hold on Alan, this should be good.

With that said, your inspector will not be able to quote a NEC code article. There is no requirement for 3 way switching for a habitable room. There is no requirement for the switch to be in the room.

The only requirement is for a switch-controlled lighting outlet to be installed.

This is my first time posting. I am a DIYer and want to install a pocket door but the light switch for the room is in the way. Can I move the switch farther along the wall or to the other side of the door?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Alan C Grubb Guest

Thanks guys this is one of those "it makes sense so it must be so" moments. Then again who ever said codes ever made "common sense"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    This is my first time posting. I am a DIYer and want to install a pocket door but the light switch for the room is in the way. Can I move the switch farther along the wall or to the other side of the door?
    bruce,
    you can install the light switch in the floor immediately inside the room if you want. when you come home from a night of reverieing and fall flat on the floor, the light switch would be accessable

Alan C Grubb Guest

Bruce this is not about code but what your comfortable with. Just ask yourself what am I using the room for and am I comfortable with searching or walking into room to find the switch. Than ask if you were a guest would you know where to look for the switch? After that be truthful with yourself and do you have the experience and skill level to be moving the switch. Not a put down, I don't even know you, just know I have had a lot of friends call me to help after they got the sh-- shocked out of themselves. If not call an electrician.

Alan,

Sorry we have derailed your question. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this was discussed in detail to a level you would not believe with competing code references on a recent topic that I started. Check the second reply above for a link to that discussion. The answers to your question lies within.

You must have missed that I have several hundred posts on this board. I am a licensed home inspector, licensed general contractor, and only play a DIYer on the web. The smiley next to my earlier reply is a clue I was joking.

Alan, the general consensus is that there is no NEC or IRC code requirement for there to be a 3 way switch across the room anywhere except stairs.

While they make common sense, there is no requirement for such. Your AHJ cant find a reference because their ain't one.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 04-30-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Alan C Grubb Guest

You got me....LOL