Default Dry stacked stone leaking air

Just inspected a home with a dry stacked stone fireplace. It had a masonry chimney and was about 8 years old. Very nice McMansion home. There was major drafting coming through the cracks of the stone chase inside the house. What do you think the problem is? It is a dry stacked stone chase inside and out. I think there is just gaps everywhere due to the way they built it trying to make it looked like there is no mortar. I recommended a more thorough inspection by a qualified mason.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: Dry stacked stone leaking air

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    Just inspected a home with a dry stacked stone fireplace. It had a masonry chimney and was about 8 years old. Very nice McMansion home. There was major drafting coming through the cracks of the stone chase inside the house. What do you think the problem is? It is a dry stacked stone chase inside and out. I think there is just gaps everywhere due to the way they built it trying to make it looked like there is no mortar. I recommended a more thorough inspection by a qualified mason.
    Frank,

Looks like a good place for a "Level II" inspection. I cannot imagine not using any mortar in a fireplace. I wonder what they were thinking.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Dry stacked stone leaking air

The chimney looked fine, the surrounding decorative chase was stacked stone. It has mortar, but not very much. Gaps everywhere. I did end up recommending a level II.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.