Stefan Browning Guest

Default Plumber cut I-Joists

Hello all. New guy here and trying to find out what can be done to fix these two areas. One the plumber cut completely through the I-Joist, and the other he notched almost the whole way through the upper flange. Any help is appreciated.

SB.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Plumber cut I-Joists

Yikes.... that's pretty bad. Realistically, you can just post down on each side of the cut lower chord (assuming the picture titles are correct and that's a crawl space). However, I'd stop short of designing the fix... that can only lead to trouble. Somebody should take that plumber's saw

Those can be corrected. The joist manufacturer will be able to design the repair. Truth be known they already have it ready to email out as this is such a common problem. If you know the brand you or whoever can email their technical desk with the photos and they will then send you the way it should be repaired to take care of the problem. They will need to know the size of the joist and how far it is from the end.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This is an example of what the I-joist manufacturer does when you ask for a method of repair.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com