Thread: Strange drain

Default Strange drain

I have a concern the excessive pitch will cause the trap to lose its seal. There must also be something in the UPC regarding this installation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Strange drain

You are right to be concerned, it is wrong. This is effectively an S Trap.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

James Duffin Guest

If the trap arm is 2" and not over 6' in developed length that would be OK with our AHJ. You can go up to 6' to get to a vent. You need a minimum of 1/4' slope on the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    If the trap arm is 2" and not over 6' in developed length that would be OK with our AHJ.
    You can go up to 6' to get to a vent. You need a minimum of 1/4' slope on the arm
    OK,

I'll Bite.

Please explain how any of this Installation is OK.

Where or What Vent ?

The 1/4 inch slope I understand.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

James Duffin Guest

What is shown in the picture is fine as long as there is a vent within 6'.....like behind the wall. Just curious as to what 2" length arm is permissible in the areas you work in? The vent can not always be right at the trap so there are different allowable lengths for different size pipes. AAV's have not been around very long so the old-timers had to do it the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin;129751[B
    ]What is shown in the picture is fine [/B]as long as there is a vent within 6'.....like behind the wall. Just curious as to what 2" length arm is permissible in the areas you work in? The vent can not always be right at the trap so there are different allowable lengths for different size pipes. AAV's have not been around very long so the old-timers had to do it the hard way.
    In Your World.

Looks Like The Old-Timers also did it the Wrong & Stupid Way as Well.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

2006 IRC

P3105.2 Fixture drains.
    The total fall in a fixture drain resulting
    from pipe slope shall not exceed one pipe diameter, nor
    shall the vent pipe connection to a fixture drain, except for
    water closets, be below the weir of the trap.

P3105.3 Crown vent. A vent shall not be installed

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

James Duffin Guest

Like I said....it would be fine in the areas I work in.....your's may be different. From what I have read on other post some folks can't wet vent an island sink but we can.

And Billy.....you are an idiot so STFU!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    2006 IRC

P3105.2 Fixture drains.
    The total fall in a fixture drain resulting
    from pipe slope shall not exceed one pipe diameter, nor
    shall the vent pipe connection to a fixture drain, except for
    water closets, be below the weir of the trap.

P3105.3 Crown vent. A vent shall not be installed
    Rick,

You provided Code to someone that already had an Excuse ( " Would be OK with our AHJ" ) when his Drivel was Proven Wrong.

He Also Quoted His Own Expert on This Subject. " Like I said... "

With That Kind Of Proof What Else Could Could You Want ?
    Like I said....it would be fine in the areas I work in.....your's may be different. From what I have read on other post some folks can't wet vent an island sink but we can.

And Billy.....you are an idiot so STFU!
    James,

I see Your Point Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance , Baffle Them with B_ll Sh_t.

What is shown in the picture is fine as long as there is a vent within 6'.....like behind the wall. Just curious as to what 2" length arm is permissible in the areas you work in? The vent can not always be right at the trap so there are different allowable lengths for different size pipes.

I believe you will find that trap configuration, as shown in that photo, IS NOT acceptable in your jurisdiction.

The 6 foot length is based on the 1/4" per foot slope of the trap arm and is a MAXIMUM for the 2" pipe.

What it is based on is this: Take a 2" piece of pipe, cut it to 6 feet long, slope it at 1/4" per foot, then look horizontally into the inlet end (the high end) and you will see a small sliver of light at the end of that 6 foot long tunnel. Make that pipe 8 feet long and the slope of the pipe at that 8 foot length will but the top of the low end of the pipe below the bottom of the high end of the pipe, i.e., the pipe will not vent.

The drain in the photo is sloped such that the maximum allowed length is now only about 6", if even that - see drawing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

All that poor design for what? To avoid a tailpiece extension and cutting into the bottom of the cabinet to place the trap at the correct height?

Who wants to head all the way to the supply shop to get a tailpiece extension for such a cheap job? Best to just make do with whatever fittings you've got in the truck and hope the inspector doesn't care (if the job was even permitted to begin with).

I wonder how much of this type of crap is actually due to indifference rather than incompetence. I think this is indifference - were it incompetence we'd probably see flex line or some other materials not suitable for the application.