brianmiller Guest

Default Washer drain line

Any reason a washer drain line should not be connected to the drain line after the p-trap?

The washer is in the garage directy behind the kitchen sink. The homeowners are doing a remodel and I was doing a pre-sheetrock inspecion and saw that the washer drain was connected to he kitchen sink drain line. I think it is okay but wanted to double check.

bm

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Washer drain line

The washer should discharge with an air gap, not be plumbed directly into a pipe, especially downstream of a trap.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

brianmiller Guest

I forgot to add that part; it had the air gap. With the air gap, in place , is it better for it to tie into the kitchen drain before or after the trap.

briam

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    I forgot to add that part; it had the air gap. With the air gap, in place , is it better for it to tie into the kitchen drain before or after the trap.

briam
    Well, after the trap means sewer gases/odors can come up through the stand pipe, right?
    That's what the trap is for, to block the sewer gases.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Any reason a washer drain line should not be connected to the drain line after the p-trap?

The washer is in the garage directy behind the kitchen sink. The homeowners are doing a remodel and I was doing a pre-sheetrock inspecion and saw that the washer drain was connected to he kitchen sink drain line. I think it is okay but wanted to double check.

bm
    Got any pictures?
    This sounds wrong on many levels but without a better description or photos, it is pretty much shooting in the dark.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Any reason a washer drain line

Brian,

Clarify "washer", as in "dishwasher" or "clothes washer"?

A "dishwasher" may be connected a couple of ways, a "clothes washer" has specified ways to connect it as it has such a high volume of water discharging via the pump.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    The washer should discharge with an air gap, not be plumbed directly into a pipe, especially downstream of a trap.
    John, do you mean indirect waste or are you saying the drain line from the washing machine has to be 1" above the drain receptacle? All that I have seen had the washer drain line stuck down into the drain stand pipe with a trap located below that.

Denny Waters Guest

Laundry tubs and clothes washer drains are not supposed to be connected to kitchen sink traps. Don't know the code. But written in my I.T.A. plumbing book.