Default 19" of rain in 36 hours!

OK, I have been through 4 hurricanes including Katrina and I have never seen this much rain. I have attached a screen shot from the TN DOT website showing all of the main roads that are closed due to high water in the Nashville area.

Also a view of the entrance to my subdivision. Normally the water covering the road is eight feet lower flowing in a natural spring creek!

It will be several days before the real damage is known in the area.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Inspection Referral
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: 19" of rain in 36 hours!

I've been watching it on the Weather Channel. That is a LOT of rain! And it is still coming down.

Believe it or not it is snowing here.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Well, at least the reservoirs filled up for a bit. Now you can go boating and not worry about hitting the sunken tree tops

Scott,

Not any better on this end of TN.
    Weather Pics photos and videos | WMC-TV: My5

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ron Bibler Guest

Looks like a few are out enjoying the day

I saw some of the rain on TV. You guys got hit hard...

I played a show yesterday with the band at a Harley Davidson store it was
    71 Degrees with a little breezzzz Other then that not a bad day for some Blues Burgers and Bikes.

Best

Ron

Just heard on the news that the first estimate on flooded homes is around 2,000+. They expect that to rise. Looks like FEMA is coming to TN!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Just heard on the news that the first estimate on flooded homes is around 2,000+. They expect that to rise. Looks like FEMA is coming to TN!
    That is a disaster that I wouldn't mind working. I might open up my schedule just in case it is declared.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Why....the only thing to go there for is The Grand Ole Opry. Are they coming to see the show

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Why....the only thing to go there for is The Grand Ole Opry. Are they coming to see the show
    Tennessee Vacation → Attractions

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

mathew stouffer Guest

Crazy weather going on. Alta, ski resort near here, has had 90 inches of snow in 4 days. That is normal in the winter but, end of april into may it's typically not the norm.

Just heard an updated report that it is now about 5,000+ homes that have water in them or over them in the Greater Nashville area. I-40 the major East West interstate is closed before you get to Nashville from the West. The road is under about 8 feet of water, it is expected to be open Tuesday sometime. It is a mess.

If you do FEMA inspections for PaRR or PB, whoever gets this one will have it fairly easy. Unlike a hurricane you have clear roads, gas, hotels are still standing, etc.

In downtown Splashville, water is over the flood wall and water is about 2' deep up 1st Ave and is working up to 2nd Ave on Broadway. This is the honky tonk part of town.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'll bet my sister and brother-in-law are second guessing buying that 5 acres last week!!
    Not sure exactly where it is they purchased but my guess is its about 5 feet under water regardless!!

About 5,000+ homes have water in them or over them in the Greater Nashville area. I-40 the major East West interstate is closed before you get to Nashville from the West. The road is under about 8 feet of water. It is a mess.

In downtown Splashville, water is over the flood wall and water is about 2' deep up 1st Ave and is working up to 2nd Ave on Broadway. This is the honky tonk part of town.
    Scott, you need to listen to some Johnny Cash. How about "Big River"?

We've been watching your plight on the news. Good luck. If you were closer, I'd bring my boat over to tie up to the porch..

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    Bruce was it you who explained that people who received FEMA help were denied some money during Katrina because they leaned their mattresses on blocks against the wall. In so doing they converted their bedroom (which was due $ for damage) into a storage room (which was not due $ for damage).
    JR
    That was me but you misunderstood what I was saying. Let me try to clarify that for you.

I was answering a question an inspector had about how to report damages in what FEMA calls "non-essential rooms". I explained that FEMA instructs inspectors to describe rooms based on how they were used at the time of the disaster, not how they might be described on the floor plan. A room may be called a bedroom on the floor plan but if it was being used to store items at the time of the disaster it is a storeroom. That does not mean FEMA won't award real property (RP) damages for that room. They very well might. But they would NOT award damages for an unused bed being stored in that room.

In my example I said the applicant had a 3-bedroom house (if I remember correctly) but only two of the bedrooms were used as bedrooms at the time of the disaster. The third bedroom was being used as storage and the stored items in that room included a bed and bedroom furniture. The third bedroom (being used as a storeroom) sustained water damages to the ceiling and floor covering and the stored bed and bedroom furniture were also damaged. FEMA instructs us to report real property (RP) damages for all rooms (with a few exceptions) so we would report the ceiling and floor covering damages for the storeroom just like we would report RP damages in the two bedrooms.

However, we would not record damages to the stored bed and bedroom furniture. The reason is NOT because the applicant "leaned their mattresses on blocks against the wall". The reason is because the bed and bedroom furniture were stored items and were not essential to the applicant. The essential beds and bedroom furniture were being used by occupants in the two occupied bedrooms and will be addressed when those rooms are inspected. FEMA does not award damages for stored items (with some exceptions) because those items are not essential to the occupant.

I don't make the rules. FEMA makes the rules (as directed by Congress) and FEMA tells us how they want us to do their inspections.

Let me see if I can help you better understand what FEMA's mission is in respect to the IHP (Individuals and Households Program). FEMA is NOT insurance. FEMA is NOT there to make everyone whole after a disaster. FEMA's goal - after the President declares a federal disaster - is to make sure applicants have a safe, sanitary and secure place to live and applicants have the essential items they need to live. The home must be safe (damage to electrical wiring, fixtures, outlets, etc. would make the home unsafe), sanitary (if flood waters caused the septic tank to overflow and flow into the house the house would not be sanitary) and secure (if exterior doors won't lock or windows are broken the house is not secure); if the house has damage that makes it not safe, sanitary or secure FEMA will probably award the applicant money to make the needed repairs but only to make the house safe, sanitary and secure - NOT to restore it to its pre-disaster condition. For example, if the applicant's custom-made mahogany front door with Tiffany stained glass was completely destroyed when a tree was blown through the door FEMA will not give the applicant money to buy an identical replacement door; rather FEMA will probably award the applicant enough money to buy a generic exterior door that fills the hole and locks. (Remember, FEMA is not insurance. They only address essential items. A door is a door to FEMA. A mahogany door with Tiffany stained glass is not essential.)

FEMA has a list of essential personal property (PP) items that inspectors address during an inspection. Examples of essential items are beds, bedroom furniture, bathroom linens, stove and TV (for disaster-related reports). The way FEMA looks at it each occupant needs a bed but unused beds are not essential. FEMA also says an applicant needs only one of many essential items.

Suppose an applicant lives alone in a 4-bedroom house and each bedroom is fully furnished. (The spare bedrooms are used when the grandkids come to visit.) There is a TV in every bedroom as well as one in the kitchen and the living room. The house was damaged by a flood; the beds and bedroom furniture were destroyed in three bedrooms and five TVs are destroyed. (The second floor bedroom was spared.) The inspector would report the damages to all rooms. FEMA would probably award the applicant money to make the RP repairs but probably nothing for the three destroyed bedroom sets and nothing for the 5 destroyed TVs. FEMA would say the applicant only needs one bed and bedroom furniture and he has an undamaged bed and undamaged bedroom furniture in the upstairs bedroom. FEMA would say the applicant only needs one TV and he has an undamaged TV in the upstairs bedroom. (It does not matter to FEMA if the undamaged TV is a 14" B&W and the destroyed TV in the living room was a 56" HD plasma. A TV is a TV to FEMA. And FEMA is not insurance.)

Remember, FEMA's Individuals & Households Program is a needs-based program. "What does the applicant NEED?" Not "What did the applicant lose?" This is your tax money that FEMA awards to applicants. I'm sure you want FEMA (and their contract inspectors like me) to be good stewards with your tax money. I try my best to do my job so the applicant has an opportunity to receive everything he is entitled to but no more than he is entitled to.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Well it is a mess around the area. I had a job across town yesterday, so I got a chance to see a good part of the area. All of the rivers have crested and are starting to fall.

Downtown Nashville is without power until this weekend due to water flooding underground substations. Opryland Hotel had 10' of water in it and is closed for several months, a number of conventions have been canceled at Opryland and in Downtown. Titian stadium had about 15' of water in it, or up to the first couple rows of seats. Update on flooded homes with in a 50 mile radius of Nashville is around 7,000+ around 25,000 are displaced at this time from their homes.

Not one word about any federal help. FEMA has only been whispered by a few news stations, but no offical word yet. The really sad thing is that very few homeowners were able to get flood insurance because the majority of homes that flooded were not in a flood zone.

As of this morning Obama has not declared a disaster yet and the Governor requested federal help on Saturday. FEMA: 2010 Federal Disaster Declarations

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

As of this morning Obama has not declared a disaster yet and the Governor requested federal help on Saturday. FEMA: 2010 Federal Disaster Declarations
    He has now. (He probably had to get in another round of golf this morning.)

President Obama declares Nashville, 3 other counties a disaster area

President Barack Obama has granted Governor Bredesen’s request for Federal Emergency Assistance for Tennessee. Cheatham, Davidson, Hickman and Williamson counties are included in the declaration.

Gov. Phil Bredesen asked the president on Monday to declare 52 counties a federal disaster area. The declaration allows for federal help to immediately begin for flood-ravaged Nashville.

. . .

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    He has now. (He probably had to get in another round of golf this morning.)

President Obama declares Nashville, 3 other counties a disaster area
    It covers 52 counties out of the 95 in the State!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The disaster declaration will probably expand to other counties over the next several days. I am sure the counties declared initially were the worst hit, most populated and first assessed. As FEMA gets people into the other affected areas and document the extent of the damages more counties will be added to the declaration. This is normal procedure for FEMA.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

I am heading to Nashville to work the flood. Scott, I'll look you up if my work area is near Spring Hill.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

The disaster declaration will probably expand to other counties over the next several days. I am sure the counties declared initially were the worst hit, most populated and first assessed. As FEMA gets people into the other affected areas and document the extent of the damages more counties will be added to the declaration. This is normal procedure for FEMA.
    It is already happening. Expect more counties to be declared in the coming days.

West Tennessee Counties Included In Latest Disaster Declaration

NASHVILLE, TN--The federal government Wednesday evening authorized a major disaster declaration for four additional Tennessee counties. Monday, Governor Phil Bredesen asked President Obama to declare 52 counties federal disaster areas following the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that struck the state beginning Friday, April 30.

Wednesday evening’s action makes federal funding available to individuals in McNairy, Perry, Shelby and Tipton Counties. Federal officials earlier Wednesday authorized declarations for Montgomery and Dyer Counties. Four counties – Cheatham, Davidson, Hickman and Williamson – were authorized Tuesday. Declarations for additional counties requested by the Governor are expected in coming days.

. . .

The President's action makes federal funding available to affected individuals in the 10 counties authorized to date, including both individual and public assistance.

Individual assistance can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses.

. . .

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

imported_John Smith Guest

In Houston, we would call that amount of rain "drizzle". In the great city of Alvin we hold the record for the most amount of rain ever recorded.

On July 25, 1979 Tropical Storm Claudette stalled over Alvin and inundated the region with 45 inches in 42 hours. That total included 43 inches in 24 hours, the maximum 24-hour rainfall in US history

I had my own house get ~1 to 2" of flood water in it during Tropical Storm Allison. Major PITA. Ruins practically everything. I didnt have flood insurance (home 30 years old and never flooded before) because I thought I didnt need it. Paid for everything out of my own pocket. You can bet I have had flood insurance since.

I am heading to Nashville to work the flood. Scott, I'll look you up if my work area is near Spring Hill.
    Give me a call, truth be known I'm seldom in Spring Hill except to sleep!

Today I will be in the Amish part of the State near Lawrenceburg TN, looking at a commercial project.
    My cell is 615-870-4162

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    In Houston, we would call that amount of rain "drizzle". In the great city of Alvin we hold the record for the most amount of rain ever recorded.

On July 25, 1979 Tropical Storm Claudette stalled over Alvin and inundated the region with 45 inches in 42 hours. That total included 43 inches in 24 hours, the maximum 24-hour rainfall in US history

I had my own house get ~1 to 2" of flood water in it during Tropical Storm Allison. Major PITA. Ruins practically everything. I didnt have flood insurance (home 30 years old and never flooded before) because I thought I didnt need it. Paid for everything out of my own pocket. You can bet I have had flood insurance since.
    I lived in Katy, TX then... That was one mother of a storm! I think we were without power for about 2 weeks. We took showers at our church up in the Memorial area.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David McGuire Guest

Scott I feel for you buddy and everybody else in the state. My wife flew over Tuesday on her way to Georgia and told me I wouldn't believe the view from 35,000 feet. Better head for them Smoky Mountains. That water is liable to fall, another storm from here in the plains and ya'll be back on the roof and in boats.

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    Scott I feel for you buddy and everybody else in the state. My wife flew over Tuesday on her way to Georgia and told me I wouldn't believe the view from 35,000 feet. Better head for them Smoky Mountains. That water is liable to fall, another storm from here in the plains and ya'll be back on the roof and in boats.
    I'm high and dry, we sit right at 1050ft and downtown Nashiville is at 280ft! All of the areas that flood so bad were all under 500ft or near a creek or river.

Yes, it is bad.... Yesterday I had an inspection north of Nashville so I went around the city. The smell of diesel fuel was unreal once I got to the east side of town. Hundreds of semi-trucks, buses, etc were flooded along with a couple of truck stops in that area.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David McGuire Guest

Sounds like a CERT team dream. Now FEMA comes in, there goes the neighborhood. I hope the residential market is strong down there and they rebuild. Nothing like an opportunity for a thousand inspections in that area. 19" of rain in 36 hours is bad, but I think you all got lucky all the same. It could have been so much worse had the tornadic activity been higher.

Most rain I have ever seen in my life in a 36 hour period is 9 inches. I don't even want to see that again. We have severe weather tonight. Guess where it will be 24 hours from now. Plus more moving in here early next week.

Got into Nashville at 5:30 PM. 89 degrees and humid. What a shock to the body when I stepped off the plane. When I left Colorado it was cool enough that I had to wear a denim shirt over my Polo shirt.

I went to my briefing and took care of the necessary technical issues and downloaded my work. I got 14 inspections in Nashville - just off I-24 just north of downtown. I am VERY pleased with that location. I'll keep you posted.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com