imported_John Smith Guest

Default Framing Gaps - How much is too much

The wood butchers in my area (aka framers) seem to have gotten much worse at their fit ups. Im routinely seeing gap ends (rafters and ridge boards) or hip and valley framing up to 1/2" to 1". I call it out in my reports as deficient, but what is the actual dimensional tolerance for framing members???

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Framing Gaps - How much is too much

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    The wood butchers in my area (aka framers) seem to have gotten much worse at their fit ups. Im routinely seeing gap ends (rafters and ridge boards) or hip and valley framing up to 1/2" to 1". I call it out in my reports as deficient, but what is the actual dimensional tolerance for framing members???

Well......anything is deficient if it is not butted up to the intended member. Everything settles enough with out starting out with the spaces you are talking ab out. Of course going over board with an 1/8 th gap is to much when it is one only rafter out of 40.

Default Re: Framing Gaps - How much is too much

Like Ted said...Rafters to ridge boards, hips, valleys. Need to be tight.

I wouldn't be near as picky on top plates where wall intersect. 1/4" gap not bad...stretching it if there is a 1/2" gap.

The NAHB put out a book "Residential Construction Performance Guidlines. I've never seen it but it is out there!