Default Chimney terminations

OK guys have you ever seen chimney termination caps like this before? This is a new one on me. And never mind the tar mess on the mortar cap.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Phillip Stojanik; 05-04-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo...wouldn't you know it.
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Chimney terminations

Wow! I don't even see that in Philadelphia........well the tar, yes. The high-hat roof vents used as as hoods for the flues.......no.

Wacky stuff.

Is there a possibility they were venting something other than heaters thru that chimney?

Even if it's legitimate room ventilation, it was a dumb idea, and needs repair.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Is there a possibility they were venting something other than heaters thru that chimney?

Even if it's legitimate room ventilation, it was a dumb idea, and needs repair.
    That's what I was thinking... bathroom or kitchen fans. So, tar mess and chimney problems aside, is there anything incorrect if that's the case?

I have never seen that before. What was the chimney being used for? Grow operation?

Actually the chimney structure in the picture above vents 3 individual fireplaces in a multi-story home. Two were downstairs kind of back to back in the living room and master bedroom and the third was upstair just above them in a large study/library. They were all grouped close enough to use a common chimney structure but each has its own separate flue liner and termination cap. No other appliances or devices were connected to any of the flues.

Nothing really looked out of the ordinary untill I got on the roof.