Default Code Check lamited spiral flip reference and TPRV

For any of you who have the "Code Check" lamited spiral flip reference, it shows a drawing of a water heater in page 21 Figure 53 with the TPRV dripping into the pan (Which is not allowed). Is the drawing saying a TPRV terminating into a water heater pan is okay as long as the water heater is in the garage?

Thanks

Gene

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Code Check lamited spiral flip reference and TPRV

Gene,

Which edition? You might go to the code check website and look at their errata page to see if they have a correction.

As far as I know, the T/P discharge cannot terminate in a pan.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I found an older thread on this exact topic. Seems it is now corrected in the newer flip chart.

Thanks

Gene

Where does it say it can't discharge into a pan?

- 504.6 Requirements for discharge piping. The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:
    - - 1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
    - - 2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
    - - 3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
    - - 4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
    - - 5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors. Where discharging to the outdoors in areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap located in a conditioned area.
    - - 6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
    - - 7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
    - - 8. Not be trapped.
    - - 9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
    - - 10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
    - - 11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
    - - 12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
    - - 13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    VH: You really do need to learn to read . . .

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post130035
    Off your med's again Aaron? I have just read the other thread relating to TP discharge, and this is the first time I have seen this code ref. Most of the drain extensions I see are just like the pic in the Code Check. When did this requirement come into effect?

I agree with Scott P. about common sense and will not be writing this up.