Default Mold or extractive staining

The attic I looked at a couple of days ago had a board roof sheathing; built in 1972. The roof sheathing on the north side showed 'darkening' (see photos)No mold spores or gross mold conditions.
    Question: I flagged at as possible mold (likely embedded in the wood) but could this just be extractive staining due to condensation on the roof sheathing? I think a mold mitigation (common around here anytime sees a whiff of mold) is probably a waste of money. But I don't want my client to have a problem with later, when reselling, and for me, its CYA.
    Any thoughts after looking at the pictures.
    Ernie Simpson

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Mold or extractive staining

Date of photos: I never reset the date after I change the batteries. Phots from this week. Got to update dates.
    E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Simpson View Post
    The attic I looked at a couple of days ago had a board roof sheathing; built in 1972. The roof sheathing on the north side showed 'darkening' (see photos)No mold spores or gross mold conditions.
    Question: I flagged at as possible mold (likely embedded in the wood) but could this just be extractive staining due to condensation on the roof sheathing? I think a mold mitigation (common around here anytime sees a whiff of mold) is probably a waste of money. But I don't want my client to have a problem with later, when reselling, and for me, its CYA.
    Ernie Simpson
    Most of what I see of the discolored framing members and decking is caused by Pine Sap Leaching.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Simpson View Post
    That looks like moisture stain. That's what I would call it. Just a guess from those pics. There are plenty of indications of roof leaks, so hopefully the roof cover has been repaired?
    All that wet insulation, if there was insulation, would give off water vapour when the attic warms up, and that would condense on the sheathing, staining the wood.
    The other issue is lack of ventilation, but we have no info on that here. Good luck.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    That looks like moisture stain.
    Not This One.
    * note exterior is Darker with no Discoloration in the Crack.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks all. In regard to questions: the roof (shingles) were fairly new. The home had spaced soffit vents and gable vents. No ridge vent (but recommended). Am telling client most likely not an embedded mold in the wood.
    E. Simpson