Thread: ARCI vs. GFCI

Jim Saucier Guest

Default ARCI vs. GFCI

Can an Arc Fault breaker be used instead of a Ground Fault breaker for bathrooms, etc.?

Also, I read that they passed a code for using ARCI breakers throughout the house. Does anyone have a take on this?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: ARCI vs. GFCI

"Can an Arc Fault breaker be used instead of a Ground Fault breaker for bathrooms, etc.?"

No

"Also, I read that they passed a code for using ARCI breakers throughout the house. Does anyone have a take on this?"

Depends on what code edition is being used in your area.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Repeating Rick's reply. AFCI's cannot replace GFCIs.

It is an AFCI ... NOT and ARCI ... BTW.

The AFCI actually has 5-functions that it is performing and one of them is a GFCI function, but it is not programmed to trip as quickly as the actual GFCI does.

Just because it has that feature built into the Combination AFCI functionality does not mean it can replace a GFCI.

The 2008 NEC requires AFCI's principally in almost all areas not protected by the GFCI requirement, but you have to read the details as there are still "some" areas that do not require the AFCI.

That may be changed in the next NEC code cycle as they implement changes in steps at a time in many cases.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saucier View Post
    Can an Arc Fault breaker be used instead of a Ground Fault breaker for bathrooms, etc.?

Also, I read that they passed a code for using ARCI breakers throughout the house. Does anyone have a take on this?

Jim, you might want to check out this older thread.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...rsus-gfci.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saucier View Post

No.

As Nolan and I can attest from a recent TPREIA continuing ed class, the most recent versions of the AFCI device is called a combination AFCI and does have a GFCI component but it is a different animal than the dedicated GFCI device due to the much higher trip value. The AFCI is not intended as a protection device for people (not directly anyway), the integral GFCI is part of the Arc Fault protection circuitry.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas