Barry Grubb Guest

Default New and "breaking" In

Hello, I have been a certified pest control operator for many years with tons or termite inspections under my belt. With the urging of friends and real estate contacts to become a licensed Home Inspector, I did so. I went through the necessary schools, ride alongs, hours of independent study, passed the national exam, satisfied the criteria for my state, paid the necessary fees, and obtained my license. On my fifth paid inspection, I bought a garage door. Anyway, glad to be aboard.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: New and "breaking" In

From one PCO to another, Welcome to the Board.

Did you happen to damage that garage door during the test of the door?

Check those Locks before operation is a must.

Barry Grubb Guest

I was checking the automatic reverse and when the door met resistance, it sort of flew apart. Obviously the door was already damaged and I didn't notice. Expensive lesson.

I think Jerry P. would refer to that as "failed under test".

You could have possibly saved that money.

Welcome!

And another good example to not test garage doors other than with the electric reversing eyes!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I think that "failed under test" only applies to something that was tested properly.

Barry - Welcome! That was just the first of many times you will open your wallet to pay a stupid tax. It happens (or will happen) to all of us.

JF

Don Burbach Guest

Barry,

Don't feel bad, I had a similar garage door failure a few weeks ago after 300+ inspections. The door had glass in the top section and I did a "reverse on obstruction test" and the door buckled and a pane of glass shattered. I took a picture of it, didn't make a big deal and said it failed under a normal test to see if the safety clutch was operational.

It occurred to me the other day that the lateral stiffener metal cross piece may have been missing. I just reviewed the photo and see that the stiffener is there, but underneath the mount point where the opener mechanism is mounted on the door panel. If pressed, I would investigate whether the door was installed properly. I don't know if the stiffener is field installed. If so, why would they want it to block the glass area???

~Don

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Barry,

I'm missing three inches of clavicle because it never dawned on me not to stand under the door when testing it. That was after about 2500 inspections. I caught the door as it fell out of the track. It hurt like all get-out, but I blew it off. A year later I was in surgery and the clavicle was removed because of all the calcium around the fracture I never had checked out.

Back to the event:
    I documented the events in my report to include having muscled the door back into place and wiring it shut and in place and disconnecting the opener. The day after the FAILURE DURING INSPECTION the Realtor called me and asked what arrangements I was making to replace the door. I explained that I was at home because my arm hurt too much to work, but that since she had called, she, her seller, and the broker should send their insurance information because I suspected I had sprained my arm when catching the door as it fell.

She stated that "Inspectors should anticipate being hurt. That's part of the job." I went back to work the following day. I never heard from anyone again about it.

Don't be too quick to assume economic responsibility for stuff that happens. Honestly evaluate whether you followed testing protocol. If you did, it FAILED DURING INSPECTION. If you did something stupid, break out the checkbook, like the time I was so concerned about baking into the guy's trash can that I hit his garage door. Serendipity; the garage door company charged the exact amount I was getting for the inspection. I couldn't place a value on the embarrassment.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Barry,

What a great name!

There are specialized reinforcing hardware for the opener arm bracket to attach to. Here is one of many. http://www.clopaydoor.com/publicfile...enInstruct.pdf

I note their absence and stop all other tests even when the horizontal reinforcement bracing is present because that bracing may not be designed for opener arm hardware attachment as I frequently see it being used for by installers.

Like others have said I don't jump to the conclusion I'm at fault or responsible for replacement when an item being inspected fails under testing.

I had a T-stat wire short out during a 1-year warranty inspection while I was in the attic documenting the HVAC unit. Am I supposed to pay for the service call and repair because the original installation was not done correctly?

The homeowner felt it was the builder/HVAC techs responsibility even at 101°F. she wasn't happy it happened but was glad that it did under warranty and that I caught it and called it out on the other unit present.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

BTW
    Most of the horizontal bracing diagrams show the braces through the center of the door panels, not as depicted in Don's photo.

Here's one from NOAA
    Retrofit - Garage Doors

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good