Default Try Again....Need help on identifying old antique roof

I took these photos this weekend in a tour of older homes in south Alabama. Some of these homes were from the 1800's and some the early 1900's. I am specifically interested in the “diamond” pattern roof shingles shown on some of the homes. My question is, “what is the material the shingle is made of”? At one time I assumed these were slat however I no longer think these are slate. I suspect many of the roofs are 75 years old thereabouts. Can anyone tell me the material these shingles are made of, assuming they might be 1925 vintage?

Also, one another house you will see some metal shingles. I assume these are tin shingles. Can anyone confirm if the metal is tin or tin coated Gene

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Try Again....Need help on identifying old antique roof

Looks like thicker (=/+) 1/4 inch asbestos tile (cementous) roof slightly atypical install (directionally). 70-90 yrs if well maintained not uncommon.A "slate guy" would be your best resource. FYI links for ID'ing some: http://www.customtileroofing.com/Til...ividual.aspand more info: http://www.slateroofers.org/sources_...tile.htmlOther looks like stamped tin strips impossible to tell actual metal or coating from photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I took these photos this weekend in a tour of older homes in south Alabama. Some of these homes were from the 1800's and some the early 1900's. I am specifically interested in the “diamond” pattern roof shingles shown on some of the homes. My question is, “what is the material the shingle is made of”? At one time I assumed these were slat however I no longer think these are slate. I suspect many of the roofs are 75 years old thereabouts. Can anyone tell me the material these shingles are made of, assuming they might be 1925 vintage?

Also, one another house you will see some metal shingles. I assume these are tin shingles. Can anyone confirm if the metal is tin or tin coated Gene
    Photo 1-2 & 3 = Tile

Photo 4 & 5 = Tin Coated Embossed Steel.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Billy, what kind of tile? What is the material?

H.G., was abestos tile in use at the turn of the century?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Billy, what kind of tile? What is the material?
    Sent Me a Piece & ( I'll send it to the Lab. )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I am hoping to find some guys that have had a lot of work experience on these old southern homes and will know what type of material the tile is. Hopefully someone will know. I have seen a modern version of this diamond pattern and it is hardy plank type material, but I am wondering about the old original tiles.

Thanks

Gene

The tile looks like the same type stuff that was used on walls, asbestos siding.
    Does this look familiar?

Asbestos: How to Identify it & What to Look For

Asbestos Shingles Repair and Removal (also known as Transite Shingles)

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim, that is it. You nailed it. There were scores if not hundreds's of these roofs in this old town I was in with homes dating to the 1830's. All of this type of shingle was on homes built in the 20's based on what I know about this period architecture. Your website indicates this was in use in the 20's so that matches up nicely with the timeframe. That must be it.

Thanks

Gene

The last photo looks more like tern coated metal (usually tern coated steel) than it does asbestos cement.

The first photos may be asbestos cement.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, yes. a lot of houses had the tin coated steel (with different cosmetic stamped patterns) and a lot had the diamond asbestos. The photos on this thread show one house of each type.