Default basement floor drain for propane leaks?

This got touched on in my recent post about a condensate drain discharging under the basement floor, but I still haven't gotten the info I need.

So, for you guys that inspect a lot of propane installations ...

I read in CodeCheck HVAC that propane appliances aren't allowed in basements unless there is an untrapped floor drain that goes outside to daylight so that, in the event of a leak, the heavier-than-air propane has a way to vent to the outside.

Is this still in effect? I've seen some evidence online that some municipalities that used to require it no longer do. I'm having trouble getting the code people in my area to respond.

The property in question has an LP Gas-fired furnace and water heater in the basement. Across the basement about 30 feet away is a 4 inch corrugated black plastic drain pipe sticking up out of the floor about 8 inches or so.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: basement floor drain for propane leaks?

Here's the CodeCheck page.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: basement floor drain for propane leaks?

This is a quote from the NC Fuel Gas Code for the section mentioned in the code check you posted. Can't find any thing about not putting LP appliances in a basement.

401.2 Liquefied petroleum gas storage.
    The enforcement of
    the location of undiluted liquefied petroleum gas containers
    shall be the responsibility of the North Carolina Department of
    Agriculture and Consumer Services in accordance with Article

5 of Chapter 119 of the General Statutes