Jim Kiffel Guest

Default What is this meter for?

Hi all,
    I did an inspection on the rural home. The electric for the house is underground from a utility pole on the property. The meter is on the pole as one would expect. I was going around the property and came accross a meter coming out of the back side of the home. But i don't understand what it's for. Any ideas? The meter is off the kitchen.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What is this meter for?

Could be old/abandoned or for a separate part of house.

Maybe someone wanted to know exactly how much their grow operation was costing for tax purposes

James Duffin Guest

Was there any writing on the box above the meter?

Jim Kiffel Guest

I am getting some input that it is part of the electric co-op with a radio communication box above it.

Jim Kiffel Guest

This is an all electric home with a really neat Geo thermal heat pump system, my first inspection on one of these dudes.

James Duffin Guest

They could be sub-metering the GEO system to monitor the efficiency.

Those are smart meters. They have an uplink to the utility so the meter can be read via computer and are suppose to be able to monitor time of use. Haven't seen the box above the smart meters in my area.

In my area, the top box in the right photo is for the electric utility to control either air conditioners or water heaters or both. They will turn off the controlled systems via radio signals when there is a peak energy alert, typically on extremely hot days. The power is interrupted for a limited time, and the electric utility credits the user back a certain set amount each month. Most of the time you don't even know the power has been turned off. It's something the homeowner can set up with the utility company.