Thread: Panel setup

Jody Humbert Guest

Default Panel setup

Last edited by Jody Humbert; 05-13-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Panel setup

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Humbert View Post
    Had a house today that had two panels in the garage. First panel had service entrance wires feeding a 100 amp breaker on the bar. There were breakers below this that fed different items. There was also wires fed off the top lugs that then fed a 100 amp panel next to it. When the 100 amp breaker is tripped there of course is no power to either panel. Panel manufacturer diagram does not seem to show this as an acceptable wiring method. Is this what is termed as backfeeding?
    The breaker above which I highlighted in red is "backfed". That breaker needs to be secured in place with a proper bracket, clip, screw, etc., as per the manufacturer's designs so that the breaker cannot simply be pulled off the bus bar - it is fed from its terminals, which will be 'hot' and exposed when the breaker is removed from the bus bar.

Yeah, the wiring of that setup is kinda screwy all right, basically wastes two panels and still only has a 100 amp service.

The panel downstream should have its neutrals and grounds separated.
    Correct. The panel downstream is not the service equipment, it is simply a panel.

Why are these panels installed like this?
    Someone had no idea of what they were doing or the correct way to do it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I hate it when people feel the need to delete their original post and photos. This is a forum for all of us to learn from. Jody has learned and prevented the rest of us from benefiting. I will try to remember to not respond to any of Jody's posts.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Jody Humbert Guest

Gunnar. I thought I had deleted the information before anyone seen the post. I had a local electrician who I question and answer with on occasion call me as I was posting and he kinda spelled it out for me. I do appreciate any and all info that is shared on this forum. I learn more everyday when I log onto this forum. Thanks Jerry for your reply. You pointed out more than we discussed. I apologize for any misconceptions.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Jody,

Now that you posted photos ... you have some BIG PROBLEMS in those panels, to start with ... there is no neutral to the panel in the second photo, just a bare ground going "someplace", and no raceway for the conductors coming in from the bottom left, and ... man, it just gets bad ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com