Mark T. Denton Guest

Thumbs up Thumbs up to all.

I am a recently licensed Professional Inspector in Houston and am looking for advice in how to get this venture off the ground. I am licensed, insured. I have all of my own tools, (ladder, moisture meter, gas detector, electrical meter, GFCI testers, oven & infrared thermometer, water pressure & flow gauge), SupraKey, report software, and late model truck.

I have over 30 years experience in all phases & types of construction. I have performed building construction inspections and field engineering for some of the largest construction companies in the nation but without any "Paid Inspection" experience it seems that I'm just not getting any attention.

I have been on the open house tour meeting Real Estate Agents and buyers. I joined the HAR and have been going to the Agent networking meetings. I have taken out adds and had postcards printed and done a direct mail marketing attempt and also driven around and hand delivered some of them locally.

I would be willing to shadow an inspector doing his job for the experience and then leave before the client gets there. I am willing to work as an apprentice for a seasoned inspector in another area (not training the competition) as feared by many. I am willing to contract for a set period of time if you would like so that it would be more beneficial to you. I am available, ready and prepared to do whatever it takes to make this a success.

If you are willing to help please respond privately to this thread and I will get back with you.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Thumbs up to all.

I think Rick was looking for some to help him with all the extra work he had.

L.O.L. Yup Rick just loves new guys... YUK YUK YUK....L.O.L.

Welcome to the board. Stay away from Rick his not in the mood

Best

Ron

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You've already engaged in DM and advertising without a web site or web address???!!!??? (gmail accounts like hotmail look tacky and fly-by-night) get a domain name, web hosting service, and bounce your domain name directed email to your gmail or whatever account for on-the fly, G3,wi-fi, etc. retrieval but you have to have a web presence and info pages where your potential referals can visit.

HAR blog is limited and you don't provide your TREC #.

Here, (opportunity for your name recognition, search engines pick-up, etc.) you don't provide your DBA or your TREC # (another missed opportunity to show up on search engines).

The little you're "out there" on the WWW you magnify your RECENT licensure and minimize your experience (1-3 HAR blog posts - and talk down to the REs). If you have history, credentials, you should be promoting that, including certifications, licenses, etc. If you're just "starting out" you're not going to make friends of REs telling them how to do their job and how necessary inspections are when you've only just become a licensed HI yourself.

Did you register your assumed name/alias connection to your PLLC?

Hint: registering with "apartment number" and not a business address...would make buyer/clients go "hmmmm" and others suspicious about finances/experience/1st-hand knowledge/history, etc. "suite" number, or just # or "Unit #", or use a mail drop address.

No connection found on the WWW between MTD Inspection Services, PLLC Promotion and you, nor vice versa. No listings, etc. Point being, I know how to track - and had advantage of your name here. How many potential clients are you NOT REACHING, and those that may have been in receipt of your recent promotional literature - NOT CONVINCING, without a way to "explore, and learn more about YOU, YOUR SERVICES, and YOUR EXPERIENCE" on the WWW. "Here today, Gone tomorrow" - a good % of "new" HIs in TX, and frankly, everywhere.

Find it hard to believe you've spent postage in a direct mail campaign without having a web presence set up/domain name, etc.

Join professional organizations, like Houston area TREIA, ASHI, etc. create pages on active rain, your own site domain (hosted cheaply by whomever), don't forget to include your TREC License number and name on each and every bit of advertisement/self promotion/etc. you do.

PS including an RSS feed on your web pages will improve your "ranking".

You've quite a bit of established competition even just "The Woodlands".

There is only so much to go around. Do a market study? Host here has some development tools he offers. Have you ever developed a business? You need a development plan. Cart before the Horse development is expensive and low-return approach.

Lamenting that one is "All dressed up and no where to go" is what one expects from a Teen pouting on the family room sofa on "date night". Being in business for ones self may be the American Dream, but to be successful requires a certain drive, planning, development, and follow-through. Reputation and referrals are developed - this takes consistancy and time.

If developing a business plan, basic minimal cash flow to offset expenses, or to scratch up/score "paid inspections" so as to qualify for an ASHI beginning membership, or just getting bites from scratch is foreign to you, perhaps hooking up with a franchise/service???

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-14-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Mark T. Denton Guest

HG, I'm working on a website now with links to everything. My inspection number is on all advertising as required by TREC. I'm looking at TPRIA for an association. It doesn't look like TREIA is interested. Can't find a meeting or get anyone to call me back. My contact with realtors has been solely introductory. Not telling anyone how to do their job. Only how I do mine. Have not even discussed price with any of them. I'll talk to my web developer about your suggestions. Thanks.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

IIRC Houston Area Local Chapter meets every month at a spec. location and time. Can't recall if it was the first or third Tuesday or Thursday of the Month. You should check. Perhaps its TAREI I sometimes get my accronym typing transposed.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-14-2010 at 01:18 PM.