Thread: Beam Hangar

Default Beam Hangar

This pic is actually from a garage, but I was more interested in the beam hanger itself. I have never seen a beam hanger that was curved on the side wall. In addition, the curve is imperfect. However, it did have the same imperfection on both sides. The hangers that I managed to find on the strong-tie site showed either straight or angled sides. However, this could be from a different manufacturer.

Anyone ever seen a hanger like this? I was wondering if it had been field modified, but I cannot imagine why. Cutting a curve would be a lot of work and serve no obvious purpose.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Beam Hangar

I've never seen curved ones but I don't remember ever having paid much attention. Is it possible these were field fabricated?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

Hard to tell since not much of the hanger is exposed. However, I would guess not. Most of the hardware used around here by contractors is Strong-Tie stuff because they have essentially cornered the market. I cannot imagine anyone going to the trouble to make one when the manufactured stuff is so affordable. This is something the city building inspector would have looked at since it is such an important structural member.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Looks homemade.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

an LSSU might broadcast that pattern between the two flanges - is that a truss, microlam, "beam", or what precisely is being supported under the paint, spray foam(?), applied surface coating(s)?