Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deal Killer

Default Re: Deal Killer

Ken

I interview my clients before inspection starts. For example what do you plan on doing with the home, how soon, are you handy, children, weekend home.... During the course of inspection I can get a pretty good idea where they are coming from and where they think they are going. Of course if findings are becoming a concern, it can be quickly established if they are prepared to spend monies to bring it up to par. If they parlay they are not prepared to expend monies or had no idea as to the extent of the repairs, costs, times, et ceteras, then its not rocket science.

Also a home does not have to be a foreclosure in order to fit into the criteria of a disaster vis-a-vis the clients wants and expectations as to buy nor not buy.

But that is my business modus operandi and cannot speak for other inspectors as to how they conduct their business.

OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Your contradicting yourself. If you write in your report, "somebody did crap work", that's an opinion. If you write, "improper and unprofessional repairs", that's not an opinion. Or, do you write, "improper and unprofessional repairs", but turn around to your clients and say, "somebody did crap work". That's grandstanding and being an alarmist and extremely unprofessional.
    Can you be any more of a pain in the ass Ken? (that's my opinion by the way)

1 - I never said I say "crap work" in front of my clients. Yes, it is sometimes my opinion of some crap work I see but I form many opinions during the course of an inspection that I don't verbalize. Is that clear enough for you?

2 - Saying "improper and unprofessional repairs" is an opinion. There are some people who may think as long as said crap work is performing it's intended function, it's not an issue.

Get a sense of humor Ken. You don't have to be such a tight ass all the time (oh, that's my opinion again).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    I Like! I am a clients dream and a sellers Nightmare.
    Want that on a "T" shirt.

Mike,

For a number of years I put one of those in-column ads in the yellow pages simply so I would have a bold phone number, so I put my slogan there: "We are the buyers best friend, the sellers worst nightmare." I had a couple of variations to that, including (talking to the client) "We are your best friend, the sellers worst nightmare.", and, "We are your best friend, their worst nightmare.", and, "We are your best friend, their agent's worst nightmare." - all had the same common theme ... that I was not there to appease the seller or the agents, only to inspect the house for my client.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

KEN
    had to open open my ignore on you to prove what a BS artist you are.

on 2/21/10 of this year in a thread titled FLOUISH AND FLARE. you bragged that in 8 years you had done 4000 inspections--that even in your raked brain adds up to 500 a year, remember that crap running down your leg - and now above you state you do 300 a year for the last 4 years.

man get your crap together. can't you see how everyone loves you on the forum. you are a bs artist and i'll bet your employees love you too

BACK ON IGNORE YOU LIAR--BRAGGED KNOW IT ALL

Hi ALL &

Good exchange !

Have to agree with 'most' out there...

Have had Realtors say - "you won't /don't dare come near any of my listings, but will certainlly use you for all my purchases & for all of my family..."

"No problem and Thank You for that compliment !"

Had an occasion to e-mail a friendly 'correction' to a local Realtor, in response to a Newsletter put out to the public - as to a comment he had written about "attics" & he immediately e-mailed back, saying "Glenn, you're on my short-list" (totally unexpected). Within a week or 2 I was immediately "OFF", again, after Inspecting a Listing of his (you can guess this one certainly didn't go through)...

Its like 'Jekyl & Hyde' !

When it doesn't go through, it's the home - for sure (Clients have just been shown /presented the WRONG home)...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

JP Barr Guest

Hi All

The person who hired you , your client, expects you to give them your professional opinion of the house they are considering purchasing. That is our job. The rest just depends on the character of the inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    KEN
    had to open open my ignore on you to prove what a BS artist you are.

on 2/21/10 of this year in a thread titled FLOUISH AND FLARE. you bragged that in 8 years you had done 4000 inspections--that even in your raked brain adds up to 500 a year, remember that crap running down your leg - and now above you state you do 300 a year for the last 4 years.

man get your crap together. can't you see how everyone loves you on the forum. you are a bs artist and i'll bet your employees love you too

BACK ON IGNORE YOU LIAR--BRAGGED KNOW IT ALL
    Nice Charlie. Great to see you can make things up to suite your agenda. Let me provide the link you're referring to. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ish-flare.html

If you bothered to actually read it it says
    This isn't boasting, it's stating facts. The first 4 years of my home inspection career I averaged over 700 inspections per year. I was doing up to 3 a day 6 days a week. I didn't take vacations and only took Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day off. I was also working 14 hours a day in the summer and 9 to 12 hour days in the winter (depending on the available sunlight). The market was great and I was handed inspections by the company I was employed with.

Now the last 4 years the market's been in turmoil. Yes, I'm doing less inspections than I was. Last year was my worst, with 342 inspections.
    So yes, while it does average 500 per year for 8 years the first 4 were over 700 per year. The last 4 were between 300 and 400. Who's the BS artist?

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post

1 - I never said I say "crap work" in front of my clients. Yes, it is sometimes my opinion of some crap work I see but I form many opinions during the course of an inspection that I don't verbalize. Is that clear enough for you?
    It's good to see you agreeing with me. You keep the inspection professional and your opinions to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    2 - Saying "improper and unprofessional repairs" is an opinion. There are some people who may think as long as said crap work is performing it's intended function, it's not an issue.
    "Improper and unprofessional" isn't an opinion if it's backed up by evidence.

Funny you should say that. I just finished reading the sixth private message to me where the inspector agrees with me but they don't want to get involved in the thread.

everyone

please go to the flurish and flair thread ken the godly saint highlites above and see his lies from one reply to the other. 4000 in eight years and when he is challenged, rebuts to now it is less. he is a bag of wind and a know it all. and perhaps ken you should again read all of that thread and see how many inspectors respect you, just as they do on this thread.

and please do share those PRIVATE MESSAGES YOU RECIEVED ON HOW YOU ARE RIGHT AND THE GOD OF HOME INSPECTIONS. i'm sure they are the employees you boss around. AND TO THOSE WHO COWARD WITH PRIVATE MESSAGES TO KEN THE GOD--MAN UP

you are a sorry individual and i hope everyone will put that big IGNORE NEXT TO YOUR NAME

WHAT A *&%^@#$ JERK

HEY GO AHEAD AND GIVE US YOUR 20 REPLY TO THIS THREAD. LIKE THE FIFTY YOU DID ON THE FLURISH THREAD

everyone

please go to the flurish and flair thread ken the godly saint highlites above and see his lies from one reply to the other. 4000 in eight years and when he is challenged, rebuts to now it is less. he is a bag of wind and a know it all. and perhaps ken you should again read all of that thread and see how many inspectors respect you, just as they do on this thread.

and please do share those PRIVATE MESSAGES YOU RECIEVED ON HOW YOU ARE RIGHT AND THE GOD OF HOME INSPECTIONS. i'm sure they are the employees you boss around. AND TO THOSE WHO COWARD WITH PRIVATE MESSAGES TO KEN THE GOD--MAN UP

you are a sorry individual and i hope everyone will put that big IGNORE NEXT TO YOUR NAME

WHAT A *&%^@#$ JERK

HEY GO AHEAD AND GIVE US YOUR 20 REPLY TO THIS THREAD. LIKE THE FIFTY YOU DID ON THE FLURISH THREAD

Charlie, I definitely understand why you don't get much work. You obviously can't read plain English. As previously stated, several times, yes I have done over 4,000 inspections in the past 8 years. Yes, that does average over 500 per year. But, nowhere did I claim to have done 500 a year for the past 4 years. I understand you don't have enough fingers and toes to figure it out, but there's such a thing as a calculator. Maybe you could find a neighbor to show you how to use it.

The last time you bashed me over my pricing. Calling me a discount inspector because of my low price. But, when I pointed out that your prices were lower than mine you put me on your ignore list. Previous to that you bashed my sample report on my website. When I suggested you post a report to compare you refused saying you didn't know how to post it, even after I offered to host it for you. I'd suggest you put me back on your ignore list because every time you reply to something I've posted you end up looking like a fool.

So lets review. You can't read, from your typos you obviously can't write, you can't add, you're a $199 inspector, you don't know how to use a computer, and you use unapproved radon testing equipment. That seems to sum you up Charlie. Oh yeah, you get really mad when proven wrong.

Wink Re: Deal Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I have told people not to buy a particular house when they asked me because they were getting in over their heads financially due to the findings.......
    .......This court has previously outlined the apparent requirements to succeed on a claim for tortious interference with a prospective business relationship:

(1) a reasonable probability that the plaintiff would have entered into a business relationship;
    (2) an independently tortious or unlawful act by the defendant that prevented the relationship from occurring;
    (3) the defendant did such act with a conscious desire to prevent the relationship from occurring or the defendant knew the interference was certain or substantially certain to occur as a result of the conduct; and
    (4) the plaintiff suffered actual harm or damages as a result of the defendant's interference.

Ray, could you sum this up in non-leaglease specific to this topic please...

Hi Rich

I will answer but only if I am not swore at or insulted by Charlie.

In essence what the court is saying that if as an inspector you are retained by your client in order for the client to carry out his due diligence and you are asked of your opinion based on your experience, knowledge, fiduciary relationship (standard of care) and findings which will adversely affect your client you are well within your legal rights to render an opinion free from interference by other parties.

And despite other pleadings I have not been able to find in the COE or SOP where a inspector is not permitted to inform the client not to purchase or not purchase a home.

Smile Re: Deal Killer

Hi Rich

I will answer but only if I am not swore at or insulted by Charlie.

Good luck on that!!!

In essence what the court is saying that if as an inspector you are retained by your client in order for the client to carry out his due diligence and you are asked of your opinion based on your experience, knowledge, fiduciary relationship (standard of care) and findings which will adversely affect your client you are well within your legal rights to render an opinion free from interference by other parties.

Thanks.

And despite other pleadings I have not been able to find in the COE or SOP where a inspector is not permitted to inform the client not to purchase or not purchase a home.

That will certainly stir up a few comments....

RAY AND RICH

i don't swear at contributors to this forum, just blow hard fools, who they think know it all-- which i don't consider you two to be.

cvf

Charlie

I have been told I am a blow hard. Even had one member state unequivocally I have never posted useful information in the some odd 1200+ posts! Imagine not one helpful post ever. Hard to believe but true! But considering the source of that comment it was not surprising.

I hope everyone enjoyed my dissertation on tortuous interference. I am not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

Everyone please enjoy your day.

Directly from the ASHI Code of Ethics:

A. Inspectors shall perform services and express opinions based on genuine conviction and only within their areas of education, training, or experience.
    I've yet to see an inspector listing qualifications as a financial planner.

B. Inspectors shall be objective in their reporting and not knowingly understate or overstate the significance of reported conditions.
    Telling a client to buy or not to buy a house would fall under this one.

In my opinion that's a far stretch of interpretation, let alone the need to be a financial planner.

In my opinion that's a far stretch of interpretation, let alone the need to be a financial planner.
    Ok, then explain to me how the typical home inspector has the education, training or experience to advise their clients in the area of finance. You've previously stated that you interview your clients so you can advise them how to spend their money on the home. How are you qualified to do this?

I don't have to be a financial planner based on my fiduciary duties, nor am I basing my inspection findings on how the client is financing their purchase, I am basing my comments on what the client seeks of me and what they tell me. Obviously a purchaser may be quite able to buy the house, but will be stretched financially in order to bring the house up to snuff. Or they cannot gain further financing in order to undertake the required repairs. Sure they can ask the vendor to repair the problem, but then they have no control over how repairs are carried out or quality of work. The purchaser can also ask the vendor in lieu of repairs for a credit but if the house is in such bad repair what other latent defects exist?

And by the way Realtors are not financial planners either so is it improper for a Realtor to figure out what the client can carry the house for at what rates and payment schedule? Of course not.

But again I would stress that I conduct my business differently then most inspectors and my approach to biz may not jive with anyone elses idea of conducting biz. And I still do inspections on a handshake without a contract.

Also you should know I did have my realestate licence a number of years ago.

Cheers,

Directly from the ASHI Code of Ethics:
    B. Inspectors shall be objective in their reporting and not knowingly understate or overstate the significance of reported conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe
    Telling a client to buy or not to buy a house would fall under this one.

To the contrary - THAT states that IF YOU DO NOT tell them, then you ARE NOT abiding by that SoP.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    To the contrary - THAT states that IF YOU DO NOT tell them, then you ARE NOT abiding by that SoP.
    Nice selective reading.

Nice selective reading.

Oh ... YOU are allowed to selectively read that BUT I AM NOT?

I would have expected nothing less from you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry

Is selective reading like selective memory?

Cheers,

My take:

"Should I Buy This House - Your Inspector Does Not Know, Really! - Paragon Home Inspections"

(Sorry about the formatting - I've not yet moved this page to the new site).

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    My take:

"Should I Buy This House - Your Inspector Does Not Know, Really! - Paragon Home Inspections"

(Sorry about the formatting - I've not yet moved this page to the new site).
    Nice article....so true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12