Thread: Woven valley

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Woven valley

Is this correct. It appears the valley is woven, however, the 'weave" is to the left of the valley. Hope that makes sense

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Woven valley

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Is this correct. It appears the valley is woven, however, the 'weave" is to the left of the valley. Hope that makes sense
    No, and there are only a couple of Owens Corning laminated shingles that allowed you to use a woven valley, most laminated shingles require a closed cut valley.

Edit: Here is another thread that covers this subject, http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ng-valley.html

Last edited by chris mcintyre; 05-17-2010 at 07:00 PM.

mathew stouffer Guest

Well how to you determine if the manufacture allows it if you cant determine the manufacture lol

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Well how to you determine if the manufacture allows it if you cant determine the manufacture lol
    We can't worry about the manufacturer, but we can note an improper installation. I have attached a photo of a properly woven valley. The valley in your picture is not really a woven valley.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thumbs down Re: Woven valley

BS, its just as much a woven valley as the one you have only with 3 tabs. A blind man can see that from his living room without touching the computer screen.

The question was "is this correct?" and the answer is No! Water can run along those vertical laps and get under the shingles easily. More so when snow and ice are involved.

They screwed up the courses on the left as well and had to double up a row. It needs repair.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

mathew stouffer Guest

Seeing blind men, is that like a wise liberal

Is it leaking?
    Is there ice/water shield below
    Nails should not be within 6" of valley

woven valley - Google Search

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    We can't worry about the manufacturer, but we can note an improper installation. I have attached a photo of a properly woven valley. The valley in your picture is not really a woven valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    BS, its just as much a woven valley as the one you have only with 3 tabs. A blind man can see that from his living room without touching the computer screen.

I do think Tony must be blind if he thinks those two photos are showing the same thing, i.e., a "woven" valley.

The first photo, Tony, shows an attempt to lay one side of the roof, then an attempt to lay the other side of the roof, then back to the first side and then back to the second side.

Tony, if you were not the blind one you would have noticed that the first photo does not show a left, right, left, right weave of the shingles - WHICH IS SHOWN in the photo Scott posted.

The first photo shows (starting at the bottom so you may try to follow this with your fingers seeing as you are so unable to see, being blind and all):
    - First put your fingers at the lower left corner over the first course coming up from the bottom left corner.
    - Now follow that course, it will have a rough texture but you should be able to follow the bottom line of the shingle course, to a course from the right, then you will feel that it goes under a course from the right - this is good.
    - Now follow that course to the left and you will find a course coming from the left - this is also good, but it is about the only good part shown.
    - Now follow that course to the right and you will feel a course coming from the right ... and another course coming from the right - this is NOT good.

Now, Tony, pay close attention to this part, I am counting on you being able to SEE at least somewhat: there are now two courses coming from the left - this is NOT good.

Now, look at the ends of the courses coming from the right ... they go half way up the left roof ... not hardly a woven "VALLEY", is it.

Maybe you could fudge it enough for us to accept calling it a "woven left field" with a "mish-mash valley".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Angry Re: Woven valley

Mathew, I hope you know by now that not everything you read on this web site is the "TRUTH" The roof in your picture if it is not leaking is performing its intended function and should NOT be called out for a REPAIR or REPLACEMENT as instructed by the major posters on this board. If you wish to tell your clients that there may be amateur workmanship or possible lack of warranty by the manufacture ( which is impossible to tell from just looking at the roof) then by ALL MEANS put it in your report. But if you think the seller or any of the posters on this board that wrote that it is wrong, would tear off that roof that is not leaking and is in insurable condition, your going to get in a lot of trouble doing inspections. Most of the vocal posters on this board don't care what the SOP for home inspectors say and the most vocal is not a home inspector at all. (JERRY) So If you call out that roof for " in need of repair" and the buyer demands it be replaced because of your report. The seller gets a statement from the roofer and the manufacturer stating that it is " OK "( look how many different opinions are on this post) Then the buyer walks away ( guess who's getting sued for misleading or fraudulent statements on a report ) Inspectors BEWARE of whom you believe on this web site. The most vocal posters on this board would have you believe that you need only protect your client and that the seller has NO RIGHTS or should not even be considered when performing a home inspection. Liability goes both ways and you should not forget it.

The roof in your picture if it is not leaking is performing its intended function and should NOT be called out for a REPAIR or REPLACEMENT as instructed by the major posters on this board.
    So, I agree with Tony that an improperly woven "woven valley" is still called a "woven valley". Just add what ever qualifying adjectives suit your reporting style, "not per manufacturers directions, not accepted standard, is not best practice, makes you doubt that all the proper components and techniques were followed, seen Bubba do it better.

BUT the O.P. asked "Is this correct" and that most definitely is not.

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Incidentally how old are the shingles?

Mathew, I hope you know by now that not everything you read on this web site is the "TRUTH" The roof in your picture if it is not leaking is performing its intended function and should NOT be called out for a REPAIR or REPLACEMENT as instructed by the major posters on this board. If you wish to tell your clients that there may be amateur workmanship or possible lack of warranty by the manufacture ( which is impossible to tell from just looking at the roof) then by ALL MEANS put it in your report. But if you think the seller or any of the posters on this board that wrote that it is wrong, would tear off that roof that is not leaking and is in insurable condition, your going to get in a lot of trouble doing inspections. Most of the vocal posters on this board don't care what the SOP for home inspectors say and the most vocal is not a home inspector at all. (JERRY) So If you call out that roof for " in need of repair" and the buyer demands it be replaced because of your report. The seller gets a statement from the roofer and the manufacturer stating that it is " OK "( look how many different opinions are on this post) Then the buyer walks away ( guess who's getting sued for misleading or fraudulent statements on a report ) Inspectors BEWARE of whom you believe on this web site. The most vocal posters on this board would have you believe that you need only protect your client and that the seller has NO RIGHTS or should not even be considered when performing a home inspection. Liability goes both ways and you should not forget it.
    Kind of a long paragraph... But, if you are a professional home inspector you are working in the best interest of your client and nobody else. You can only have one client and that is who has hired you to tell them about the home.

The valley on this roof has not been installed properly and most likely if they did not install the valley correctly other problems can be found. If this was my client I might report it like this "The valley on this roof has not been installed properly and will increase the likelihood of leakage. Although I did not see any signs of leaks I recommend that a qualified roofing contractor should be contracted to make any needed corrections to the roof."

We have nothing to do with what our client demands or request of the seller. The seller is under no obligation to do anything for the buyer when it comes to our report. If the buyer wants the roof replaced, then it is up to the two parties to work it out or move on. All do is report what I find and give my client the information they need to make an informed decision.

Whether you think that the valley is wrong or not we have a duty to report what we find. We should not sugar coat or soft sell anything we find. If and when something goes wrong with the home who do you think your client is going to call. Hint, it wont be the Ghostbusters!

Tony is just a diamond in the rough and one day he might become a polished gem of a home inspector.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 05-19-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

The rest of the valleys were perfect, roof was replaced in 07, house was 1.2 million, nice place. Here is what I put in the report. "It appears the South woven roof valley May be installed incorrectly. Suggest evaluation by a licensed roofer to determine if the woven valley in installed correctly." I keep you posted.

If there is ice and water shield under the valley the weave is moot is it not?

mathew stouffer Guest

Raymond how are you going to tell is there is water shield under the valley

Mathew

One would have to check at the eaves if possible. There could be metal flashing under the valley as an alternative. But now that you have deferred to a roofer I suppose its a moot point.

mathew stouffer Guest

The tabs were sealed along the drip edge and I did not want to pull them up. Plus It was about 35 feet off the back of the roof

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    But, if you are a professional home inspector ...
    We KNOW that Tony is not a "professional" home inspector. That he has most clearly demonstrated to us through HIS posts.

Tony is just a diamond in the rough and one day he might become a polished gem of a home inspector.
    Tony is rough all right, but ... Tony takes diamonds ... and turns them into coal, which he then polishes and tries to sell as 'black gold'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com