Default Fireplace over Jetted Tub

Builders model home is finally for sale. Built 2005. Double side gas fireplace visible from master bedroom and master bathtub. No obvious way to get the thing to start.

I am not loving the glass over the tub. Presumably the glass is tempered anyway because it is a fireplace. Any code references why this is a bad idea?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Fireplace over Jetted Tub

First thought would be the lack of privacy created by the see-through fireplace. Perhaps not an issue in a separated Master Suite area to the bathtub - but might be an issue if the toilet and/or bidet is not further "privatized" in their own "water closet" or at least a privacy "wall" of sorts.

Gas fired? Even IF it can withstand installation in the humid environment and survive the excessively humid conditions of a bathroom and/or the usual size restrictions of a bathroom ... IIRC only certain gas fired DV are allowed in bathrooms.

Regarding placement over the soaking tub/hydromasage bathtub:

I'm willing to bet that somewhere in the manufacturer's installation and owners/use manual/instructions there will be warnings regarding
    keeping the fireplace glass clean and dry - and avoiding (likely with a Warning statement) any accumulation, spray, droplet, etc. of water on the glass either while the appliance is in use or during its cooling off period. There will also be warnings not to touch the glass - as it would be very hot and likely to cause severe burns should one touch it while in use or still residually hot after use.

Hot safety/tempered glass + a droplet of water put upon it when hot or while heating up -> and the glass can/will shatter often with a loud bang and with a shatter pattern not unlike an explosion. Although there would be hundreds if not thousands of tiny bits of glass - they can cut - especially wet skin, broken glass + bathtub = not a good combination; explosive like shatter potential when in use over bathtub in use = even worse.

A dry hand, arm, backside, coming into contact with the warm/hot glass could/would result in severe burns. Slipping in a tub, no matter how textured the bottom, is a likely and common event (even if it is clean and dry).

A jetted tub will always (even micro fine spray) have some degree of spray/splash (even a bubble tub). Using the tub to bathe would also likely involve some degree of potential squirt, splash or fling of a water droplet (or many). If the area is tiled - it likely would be exposed to water or condensation accumulations.

At the least a not so bright idea - look to the manufacturer's warnings for safe operation and use for some language to address the not-so-common-sense reasons for why this placement was not so smart.

perfect example of how someones brainstorm can devalue the house

P.S. If spark ignition or an electric unit, proximity to hydromasage bathtub/water might violate listing and NEC.

Question Re: Fireplace over Jetted Tub

make and model?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

To add to HG's post ... Wow
    That is so tacky, it reminds me of things I used to see inspecting the honeymoon suite in sleazy motels.
    Yes it was a paying gig, not weekend fun.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    First thought would be the lack of privacy created by the see-through fireplace. A jetted tub will always (even micro fine spray) have some degree of spray/splash (even a bubble tub). Using the tub to bathe would also likely involve some degree of potential squirt, splash or fling of a water droplet (or many). If the area is tiled - it likely would be exposed to water or condensation accumulations.

When I test gas logs I usually see moisture, almost before the fire!

My first thought was "wiener roast".

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

HG raises some very good points. Have turned on jetted tubs in the past and have not been careful which way the jets have been pointing. Upon start up if the jets are pointing up you can get a nice jet of water hitting that glass if the tub is not full.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    HG raises some very good points. Have turned on jetted tubs in the past and have not been careful which way the jets have been pointing. Upon start up if the jets are pointing up you can get a nice jet of water hitting that glass if the tub is not full.
    Agreed. But the condensation thing was a little over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    No doubt. I blasted a client once in my first couple of years. It was embarrassing and pretty funny at the same time. I did learn a little from the experience, however.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

VH, Why? Metal frame, You think the location (NEC) is a "Dry" one? Do you not think there would be at least a fan + spark or glow ignition?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    VH, Why? Metal frame, You think the location (NEC) is a "Dry" one? Do you not think there would be at least a fan + spark or glow ignition?
    Of the gas logs I have inspected only 1 in 20 or less have a fan. The ignition source is almost always piezoelectric.

Cool don't make it harder than it needs to be

Believe it or not, this issue has come up with the mfrs. and some have addressed it in their manuals. Once mfr. I know of actually took the trouble to put a paragraph in their manuals addressing fireplaces placed near tubs or wet locations. It requires the tempered glass have the label on it (and made labeled glass available) and required the unit be properly grounded/ bonded per the NEC. Most AHJs have accepted this with no problem. I know of one or two over in Joisey that made us put a GFCI breaker serving the fireplace with a service disconnect switch with red cover plate in the same room > 10 ft. from the water.

Virtually all gas fireplaces with glass use either soda-lime tempered glass or ceramic glass--they just aren't marked in most cases.

So you see why I again, as usual, asked for the make and model. Everyday I read posts here and for years I have been begging for the make and model yet few inspectors seem to record this vital info. It contains the answers you seek. Take photos of the rating plates of ALL heating appliances or at least write down the make, model, serial #, date of mfr. if evident, BTU/hr input rating, and fuel type. The mfr.'s listed instructions will answer 95% of your questions on these units and this information is readily available online for most units sold over the last 10 or so yrs. For older units, contact the mfr and if they are still in busines, their technical services dept. will help you at no charge. Usually, they will fax or email the document you need or even send you an email or letterhead letter addressing your issue.

As for See-Through (ST) fireplaces btw tubs and master bedrooms, it is quite common around here. Since it is located withing the master bedroom/ bathroom suite, no one around here finds it kinky. Most spouses have seen each other naked before.....

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Just the hazards alone to the eyes of having to look at that wallpaper everyday in that bathroom is reason enough to recommend a "dozier" job.

rick

Fireplace and tubs like that are fairly common in high end homes in my area. I have been doing phase and draw inspections for the past 2 years on monster 11,000sf home with 2,500sf master suite that has the almost exact setup as in the picture. It has passed the local AHJ and the state electrical inspection, what more can you ask for.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Just the hazards alone to the eyes of having to look at that wallpaper everyday in that bathroom is reason enough to recommend a "dozier" job. rick
    Every wall in the house was painted baby blue. There was brown curtains and accessories throughout the house. Some "decorator" obviously decorated the entire house with a single color scheme. The wall paper in that room was particularly bad. The other wallpaper scattered around was not as bad.

The garage had been the real estate office at one point. Coffered ceilings to hide the HVAC, curtains, gazillion can lights, and a wood design on the rear wall. They pulled up the carpet and installed a double garage door. Left everything else in place.

The single car garage still had a fully accesible handicap bathroom in it. The floor has tile with grass printed on the tile. There was a giant John Deere sign hanging in that room/bay. I guess the tile was to give the impression of a lawn and they had some promotion going with JD.

4000 square feet and the bedrooms are 12x12. The master bath is probably 20x20. Two story foyer and bridge style second story hallway open on all sides to the foyer and two story eating area/den. Great idea to divide the house in two with a two story chasm between the two sides of the house. Put a single thermostat on each level of the house inside a room. Chasm is one heating space while the rooms have wierd temps due to thermostat placement and thermal exclusion. Jack & Jill bathroom setup with two closets inside the bathroom. So many doors in the bathroom you get lost.

House has lots of extras and upgrades but is still a horrible floor plan.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."