Ed DeRousse Guest

Default AquaTherm Furnace

Greetings everyone! Occassionally I run across this furnace, and to be honest, other than having a little experience in the business, and the use of a little common sence, I really don't know a lot about this furnace, its nuances, or really what to be looking for in the way of deficiencies. Is there anyone out there that can give me some feedback? Thank you ahead of time!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: AquaTherm Furnace

Quote Originally Posted by Ed DeRousse View Post
    Greetings everyone! Occassionally I run across this furnace, and to be honest, other than having a little experience in the business, and the use of a little common sence, I really don't know a lot about this furnace, its nuances, or really what to be looking for in the way of deficiencies. Is there anyone out there that can give me some feedback? Thank you ahead of time!
    Is the the wood burning boiler type system?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David Bell Guest

The aquatherm name corresponds to everything from woodburning boilers to swimming pool heaters. Specifics please.

Ed DeRousse Guest

I apologize! The only AquaTherm systems I have seen are using water, not wood, being provided by a "Bradford White Hydrojet Water Heater. Hope that helps!

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I apologize! The only AquaTherm systems I have seen are using water, not wood, being provided by a "Bradford White Hydrojet Water Heater. Hope that helps!
    Can't help you if you're not going to provide a proper description.

Doubt your looking at a furnace. A boiler is NOT a furnace. A Water to Water heat exchanger is also NOT a furnace. A split Heat Pump air handler is also not a furnace.

Hydronic heat - or a hydronic coil within an air-handler does not make the air handler a "furnace". If the source of hot water is a boiler or a DWH, it is still hydronic heat not scorched air (furnace - fired or electric heats). Verywell could have heat strips as a backup who knows.

As always descriptions including model numbers, data plate ratings, etc. coil type, and when it comes to hydronic - system type (loop, recir or gravity, etc.) are essential.

Then there are a host of calculations to determine efficiency/effectiveness.

For primary heating, I have yet to have encountered an effective tank-style direct DWH supplied hydronic coil in air handler system. Most DIY and worse efficiency and comfort (responsiveness, air quality, etc.) than either a furnace or traditional hydronic (radiant, convection, etc., supplied from zoned boiler). Standby losses and efficiency to DWH and ducting great, slugs of cold air followed by minimally warm air. Worst of both heating systems.

Better to use as source a split HP and augment with emergency heat based on fuel source if the basis for such a system choice was air conditioning retrofit to older home and lack of piping for more traditional hydronic heating systems.

If BW's "hydrojet" dip-tube effectively circulates all the sediment from the tank - would expect the coil in the air handler would clog that much faster, rather than the tank style DWH itself.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 05-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Ed,

I've seen the Aquatherm systems here which utilize the water heater and air handler. Basically the water heater heats the water which flows through the coil in the air handler. The blower in the air handler forces air across the coil providing warm air to heat the home.
    The air handlers I've seen look very similar to a furnace, except there are no burners. I check the system just like I would any other water heater and furnace except for the obvious lack of burners, vent, and gas piping to the air handler. Also look for water leaks in the air handler.

I've only seen the systems in one town-home development in Eden Prairie, MN, which was built about 5 years ago. All the ones I've seen were working fine, but I would expect the water heater portion to last a maximum of 10 years.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ed DeRousse Guest

Thanks Ken! Yes, I think we are talking about the same animal; in fact, I just got finished talking to one of our more respected hvac guys in this area about the system, and he pretty much said the same thing, with a an additional comment. He said to check the mixing valve (usually found on top of the unit) for leakage, and he said with these units, the water heater is set very high, at like 160 degrees, which is the reason for the mixing valve. It cools the water to the proper 120 to 125 degrees on the tap water side. He said to call it out for evaluation if the water temperature coming from the tap is too high. The mixing valve has probably gone bad. I hope that helps you too!

About 5 years ago we had an ASHI sponsored HVAC seminar. The instructor was an ASHI certified inspector who held both plumbing and HVAC licenses. At the end of the class the instructor asked if there were any questions. I had inspected three of these systems in the past week, but he hadn't mentioned them during class so I asked if he could explain the system to the others present. The instructor stated, "Don't worry about them. You'll never see one". When I told him I had seen three the previous week he called me a liar.

Ed DeRousse Guest

I'm surprised to hear that. The last home that I inspected with the AquaTherm was 14 years old. Wonder where he's been hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    About 5 years ago we had an ASHI sponsored HVAC seminar. The instructor was an ASHI certified inspector who held both plumbing and HVAC licenses. At the end of the class the instructor asked if there were any questions. I had inspected three of these systems in the past week, but he hadn't mentioned them during class so I asked if he could explain the system to the others present. The instructor stated, "Don't worry about them. You'll never see one". When I told him I had seen three the previous week he called me a liar.
    Lol........Only goes to show that just because someone holds a certain license or degree doesn't always make them knowledgeable in that field.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

I'm surprised to hear that. The last home that I inspected with the AquaTherm was 14 years old. Wonder where he's been hiding?
    Like I said before, I've only seen them in one townhome complex around here. All about 700 square feet. So, unless he's ever worked in that complex he's probably never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Lol........Only goes to show that just because someone holds a certain license or degree doesn't always make them knowledgeable in that field.
    One of my friend has this Aqua Therm system in Portland OR. and he said that when space heating is kicking in during the shower time, the water from shower head is cold. Is this system designed to be used in FL or CA where it is not too cold in winter?

Thanks,

Abbe,

Quote Originally Posted by Abbe smith View Post
    One of my friend has this Aqua Therm system in Portland OR. and he said that when space heating is kicking in during the shower time, the water from shower head is cold. Is this system designed to be used in FL or CA where it is not too cold in winter?

Thanks,

Abbe,
    In this area, central valley, calif (since 1991) all the houses were installed with this system. All houses are on LP gas, not working right now, no hot water traveling to heater unit from water heater. Pipes are in wall toward ceiling, so I have to find the problem.

These furnaces are quite common here in Ontario, I have one myself and if your not receiving warm air from the air handler but the blower is working ( forcing air thru the ductwork)its probably the circulating pump not working. (easy change 4 threaded screws) The only other problem may be the hot water heater from which supplies the hot water is not working. (easy check by turning on hot water from any tap) There is basically not a lot to go wrong with these units, consists of the "heat exchanger" (like the rad in your car) ,"circulating pump" & "blower " (like a hampster wheel that moves the air. The heat sourse is supplied by the water heater,could be gas or electric, hope this helps.