mathew stouffer Guest

Default Single strand Aluminium

Condo built in late 70's early 80's. Single strand Au wire in 15 and 20 amp breakes with anit oxidant. Is the Au wire only issue in the 30 and 40 amp breakers or is it also and issue with 15 and 20's

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Chuck Lambert Guest

Default Re: Single strand Aluminium

Yes, it is an issue on the 15 and 20 amp breakers.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Single strand Au wire . . . Is the Au wire . . .
    Although it is an EXCELLENT conductor I doubt the house is wired with gold. (Au is gold, not aluminum.) I think you meant to say 'Al'.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Most breakers are dual rated AL/CU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Although it is an EXCELLENT conductor I doubt the house is wired with gold. (Au is gold, not aluminum.) I think you meant to say 'Al'.
    Yes, some of us are old enough to remember AuH2O running for president, and that was our introduction to the periodic table. These days the excellent tv show Breaking Bad provides that service.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

LOL. I am going back to remove all the Au wire, I am rich I will do the work myself.

mike huntzinger Guest

al the4 problems iv'e seen is at the GFI outlets where they try to put the wires into the holes or wrap around the lugs, needs to be pig tailed to copper for the best result, and the pigtail needs a specal wire nut.

Two pics from yesterday, 1973 house. The first one, Al on the top breaker, is a 15 amp lighting circuit, the second is a 20 amp water heater circuit.
    I saw the Al on the water heater breaker, went and checked the other end, found that old scorch mark and some cheesy splicing.

The double-tap in pic 1 is for the doorbell transformer, stranded Cu on Al. Was allowed in '73. Can it be pig-tailed for safety? Or would it have to be torn out if an electrician touches it?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Chuck Lambert Guest

I like it when I run across a Fed-Pacific Stab-Lock with single strand Al wiring!!

Chuck