Default Geo-Thermal Heating and Cooling

Does anyone have information as to where I can get some training or information on how to inspect Geo-Thermo Heating and Cooling Systems?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Geo-Thermal Heating and Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. Maxwell View Post
    Does anyone have information as to where I can get some training or information on how to inspect Geo-Thermo Heating and Cooling Systems?
    I would get with a local HVAC contractor who installs them and pay them to do the inspection for me. I would then ask to follow them and see what they do, etc. Learn from watching.....

The problem with a geo heatpump is that you really have no idea if the source for cooling/heating is working properly. It could be a well, a big pond, or large water storage tanks. You really need experience with this type of system to inspect them.

They have become popular in my area on high end (over $1M) homes and when I know a home will have them I increase my quote by $75 and hire an HVAC contractor to come in and look at them. About 4 months ago I had a commercial building (day care center) that had 6 wells for the 6 individual geothermal heatpump systems in it. The 6 systems were valued at $180,000 by the HVAC contractor I hired to help me. They are expensive, so you really do not want to screw it up. I think the average residental system will go for around $15,000 to $25,000 and that does not include the drilling of the well, building of a pond or storage tanks.

The part of the system that you see, will have very few moving parts in it. The pump is the largest part of the system. The electronics and computers on the newer systems are really the heart of the systems.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com