Default meter located inside

I recently inspected a home where they had enclosed the carport. The main electric panel and meter were enclosed in this 'bedroom', forcing the meter reader to make appointments to read the meter. I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this. Is it allowable to enclose a main service meter?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Drew McGee

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: meter located inside

It is highly likely that was converted without a permit.

I would suspect that if someone at the power company actually thought about it, they would tell them they have two options: 1) relocate the meter to the outside; 2) relocate the meter to the outside.

That is a dead give away to an unpermitted conversion, and you probably found many other problems too, such as lack of receptacle spacing, lack of smoke detectors, lack of EERO, lack of ... well ... everything, not to mention that the exterior walls are likely lacking proper insulation ... and that the floor was probably stepped down, which may likely have been too low (below BFE).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew McGee View Post
    I recently inspected a home where they had enclosed the carport. The main electric panel and meter were enclosed in this 'bedroom', forcing the meter reader to make appointments to read the meter. I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this. Is it allowable to enclose a main service meter?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Drew McGee
    And somebody thought the carport was a good location for the service equipment..

I have seen this on occasion. I recommend relocating the meter box, usually along with a full upgrade of the service, which is probably needed as well.

My only beef with this one was two meters indoors.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thanks for the responses.

Drew