Andy Jarchow Guest

Default thank you

Hello all,

Any Home Inspectors in Wisconsin willing to let a newbee shadow you for an inspection or two? I’m looking for an experienced inspector that is willing to be a mentor for one or two of your inspections. To be out of my area you would have to be West of Iola, South of Oshkosh and North of Wausaukee.

I’m always looking for ways to improve my inspections. I’m disappointed with most of the training I’ve been through so far. I think going through actual inspections with an experience inspector is probably the best way to learn.

If you are willing please call Mike at 920 595 0903 or email me at 5faithfulservants@new.rr.com

Thank you
    Have a great day

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Andy Jarchow; 06-24-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Looking for a home inspector to shadow-Wisconsin

I don't know any inspectors in the Wisconsin area Mike but you're right on about riding along with another inspector and just shadowing him. I recall my ride alongs and how much I learned about what it took to perform a proper inspection. If you're a member of an association (NAHI, ASHI, etc), try checking with some local members in your area.

David Argabright Guest

ASHI has a program that matches new with experianced inspectors. It's a parallel inspection program open to ASHI associates.

Looking for a home inspector to shadow Wisconsin?

Wow! That would be a big inspector.

DOUG HOERTH Guest

Hey Mike, Do you belong to WAHI (Wisconsin Association of Home Inspectors)? There are monthly meetings, and you can talk to other inspectors with great educational speakers every month.

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Argabright View Post
    ASHI has a program that matches new with experianced inspectors. It's a parallel inspection program open to ASHI associates.
    I will check into this today!
    Thank you
    mk

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Looking for a home inspector to shadow Wisconsin?

Wow! That would be a big inspector.
    Yes it would! I should work on this and maybe I would have a good reason not to go into thoughs crawl spaces...
    mk

Andy Jarchow Guest

Angry Re: Looking for a home inspector to shadow-Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by DOUG HOERTH View Post
    Hey Mike, Do you belong to WAHI (Wisconsin Association of Home Inspectors)? There are monthly meetings, and you can talk to other inspectors with great educational speakers every month.
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I am a member of wahi. I was at the meeting this month. You did a good job on your presentation. I’ve been to 3 or 4 meetings and the week end training this spring. Some of the meetings are helpful and some are not. Most of the wahi meetings you can take something away from but I think it would be more helpful to go through some actual inspections to see what an experienced inspector looks for and how he reports on it. The other issue is this is a competitive profession so it would be nice to find an environment where you don’t have to deal with that. I will check with some members out of our area.

Have a great weekend.
    mk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    [The other issue is this is a competitive profession so it would be nice to find an environment where you don’t have to deal with that. I will check with some members out of our area
    It might be competitive, but you will find that when you meet and make other home inspector friends the competitiveness kind of goes away. Over the years I have made good home inspector friends in my local area. We help each other if one has a question or problem. We even refer callers to each other when we are busy or if another inspector has more experience in a particular field.

As for Ride-a-longs or shadow inspections, I stopped doing them a couple of years back. Why? I just got tired of messing with individuals who would be my competitors in a few weeks and charged a good deal less than I and other established inspectors did. I use to think that I had kind of a duty to allow folks to ride with me, but I no longer feel that way. I had a few bad ride-a-longers that convinced me I did not need to be doing it.

My suggestion is to try and find an inspector that is 100 miles or so away from you. See if they will allow you to shadow them for a couple of days. It might require an overnight stay, but you will get a better response if they do not see you as a competitor.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

There is also the issue that I can only do this at inspections where I'm SURE the client is OK with it, and that my GL will not cover anything my "shadow" damages.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    It might be competitive, but you will find that when you meet and make other home inspector friends the competitiveness kind of goes away. Over the years I have made good home inspector friends in my local area. We help each other if one has a question or problem. We even refer callers to each other when we are busy or if another inspector has more experience in a particular field.

As for Ride-a-longs or shadow inspections, I stopped doing them a couple of years back. Why? I just got tired of messing with individuals who would be my competitors in a few weeks and charged a good deal less than I and other established inspectors did. I use to think that I had kind of a duty to allow folks to ride with me, but I no longer feel that way. I had a few bad ride-a-longers that convinced me I did not need to be doing it.

My suggestion is to try and find an inspector that is 100 miles or so away from you. See if they will allow you to shadow them for a couple of days. It might require an overnight stay, but you will get a better response if they do not see you as a competitor.
    Yes I did meet some guys in this area that are very nice and some that aren’t. I would refer business to some of them too.

I am looking for someone way out of my area and I would sign a non-compete.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

mk

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    There is also the issue that I can only do this at inspections where I'm SURE the client is OK with it, and that my GL will not cover anything my "shadow" damages.
    Not sure if this would help or not but I am fully bonded and insured- E&O and GL.

Thank you
    mk

David Nice Guest

Exclamation Re: Looking for a home inspector to shadow-Wisconsin

Mike,

If you still have the need, you might try calling Greg Liebig at 4-Square Home Inspections, LLC in Sheboygan.(920) 451-4646. You can tell him that I suggested you call him. He is probably far enough away to meet your needs without being a burden for you to travel to.

Hi, I am also looking for a Inspector to Shadow in Wisconsin. Anywhere from Madison, Milwaukee, or even Fon Du Lac area would be fine. If anyone in this area would be willing let me know. I would be willing to pay some for the inconvenience.

Thanks, Joe.

Andy Jarchow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Nice View Post
    Mike,

If you still have the need, you might try calling Greg Liebig at 4-Square Home Inspections, LLC in Sheboygan.(920) 451-4646. You can tell him that I suggested you call him. He is probably far enough away to meet your needs without being a burden for you to travel to.
    Thank you David,

That would be perfect!!

I will call him tomorrow.