Thread: SEEP WELL

Ron Bishop Guest

Default SEEP WELL

Has anyone ever heard of a seep well? I inspected a house next to a River yesterday, and the seller claimed to have a "seep well", which collected water from underground uphill seepage, then pumped it into a pressure tank

Crawl Space Creeper

Jonathan Cartwright Guest

Question Re: SEEP WELL

Why is the water "seeping" uphill?

Default Re: SEEP WELL

sounds like an artesian spring? drilled a well on one jobsite and had good water pressure to run hoses and sprinklers without setting a pump. owner was thrilled!

Ron Bishop Guest

This is kind of like that except this well is collecting water from underground seepage, and using it for the house water supply. The kicker is that directly uphill from this well is kerosene tank that has been leaking oil in to the ground for some time.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

BrianSchmitt got it.

Booster/collection well for a spring fed or SEEP water source. Be it surface, ledge, or subterrian cavern.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    BrianSchmitt got it.

Booster/collection well for a spring fed or SEEP water source. Be it surface, ledge, or subterrian cavern.
    Hold on. The post does not say the owner does not have a pump on his well, just that he collects water in a well.

IMO, any shallow pit that collects water is a seep well. Shallow wells are prone to contamination, and are usually a bad idea.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Hold on. The post does not say the owner does not have a pump on his well, just that he collects water in a well.

IMO, any shallow pit that collects water is a seep well. Shallow wells are prone to contamination, and are usually a bad idea.
    That's not how I read it (the Original Post), regardless what I said was correct regards what a seep well (spring source well) is. Read again, highlighting, color and underline added:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bishop View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a seep well? I inspected a house next to a River yesterday, and the seller claimed to have a "seep well", which collected water from underground uphill seepage, then pumped it into a pressure tank
    As I read it, a PUMP exists at the seep well collection (according to the seller's claims).

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    BrianSchmitt got it.

Ron Bishop Guest

A backup pump exists which pumps water out of the trinity River when the seep well runs dry, which it does, according to the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bishop View Post
    This is kind of like that except this well is collecting water from underground seepage, and using it for the house water supply. The kicker is that directly uphill from this well is kerosene tank that has been leaking oil in to the ground for some time.
    Sounds like a disaster. Hope its not suppose to be a potable supply? There is reason to be concerned that the leakage can or will be contaminating surface waters.