Thread: Deck Beam

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Deck Beam

Does this beam look like it is secured properly? These are the only fasteners that I could see/find. This house was built in 1994.

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Deck Beam

I don't recall seeing those fastener plates/brackets used myself so I don't know that they are or are not sufficient. I guess a lot depends upon the way those brackets are secured in the areas you can't see between the beam and post.

I'm OK with the ledger strip the joists are supported by in the last pic bit I'd prefer see things up a little closer to be sure (bearing surface, secured on ends, etc).

Not the worst I've seen.... in 1994 is wasn't uncommon to just have a toenailed connection. I'd be more worried about water collecting on the top of the round post and just overall rot on a deck of that age.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Thanks

Phil Brody Guest

As an engineer, thumbs up.

The most important deck inspection is the ledger connection to the house or building, that is the most important.
    Post-to-joist diagonal bracing, Decks greater than 6 feet above grade should have diagonal bracing from posts to girder and from posts to joists.
    Fred Sweezer Sr.
    1-562-234-2689
    http://wwwthelongbeachhomeinspector.com

WOW, that's a good sized beam for a deck, and so are the posts. I think I would be more concerned about rain and snow on top of the post and weeping into the ends and then freezing and/or rotting.

Kary Krismer Guest

I'd be more concerned about what seems to be wood to earth contact at the bottom of the posts. It would be a relatively easy fix when problems do arise, and it's a low deck, so I wouldn't be greatly concerned.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

kary, i have that in the report. thanks

I don't know what you have to deal with in your area in the way of winds. What I would question is that with the anchor shown in the photo, the only way it can be attached to the post is with nails into the end grain of the post. That type of nailing can pull out very easily.

Here in Florida, it would have to have some strapping along the side of the post where the nails are relying more on shear than direct pull out. If the only concern is lateral movement, then it should hold until the post begins to rot.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

Philip Guest

Thumbs down Re: Deck Beam

Those brackets look whimpy to me.

Rey Morales Guest

Those brackets look that they are not strong enough to hold the load. Simpson Ties have brackets that are stronger, meets code and tested for appropriate loads. Beams looks good but footings for the post don't know. You may still get better brackets and installed them properly to the outside band.