Default New Panel Double Tapped to Old

Did an inspection today where a newer 60 amp panel's main was double tapped to the homes original feed (125 amp panel with 60 amp cartridge/fuse). While this seems to appear in many older homes, generally where a fuse box for an AC unit is tapped in to main feed) I haven't seen too many times where an entire panel (which consists of breakers for Furnace, Dryer, and some GFCI outlets). Should this be called out? And, what would the proper remedy be? I am sure the listing agent will cry "grandfathered"!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Philip Guest

Default Re: New Panel Double Tapped to Old

Square D has a lug suitable for double tap. Call Square D with the serial number and model number and they will be able to tell you if that is one of their double lug acceptable. If not, it's a double tap and Sparky needs a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Subick View Post
    Should this be called out? And, what would the proper remedy be? I am sure the listing agent will cry "grandfathered"!
    I hope you're kidding. The proper remedy is to replace all that old fuse sh*t with a new panel that will handle all of the load without needing to double tap an additional panel. I wouldn't care what the listing agent says about his grandfather.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Subick View Post
    Did an inspection today where a newer 60 amp panel's main was double tapped to the homes original feed (125 amp panel with 60 amp cartridge/fuse).
    That is just one of the problems in that panel, and, as Jim said, that is a FUSE panel, and in many places around the country no insurance company will insure a house with a fuse panel.

Just replace it with a new panel with the correct main breaker and as many branch circuits (plus some spares) as are needed or wanted (more will always be wanted at some point in the future).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the reply guys. These panels are VERY commonplace here and all insurance companies insure them without a problem. It's only knob and tube that is tough to get insured by just any company.

James Duffin Guest

Is the new panel mounted outside? It doesn't look like a weatherproof panel.

Call out double tapped lugs in the fuse panel, (feeds and ground)
    Call out an illegal feeder tap. article 240 (10 foot tap rule)

Lou Romano Guest

It is more than just a double tap! You can tap the feeder but you can't tap it at the panel lugs. Not even if the lugs are rated for 2 wires. I know we see it all the time, but that doesn't make it right! You would have to make a splice outside of the panels lugs and then feed both panels from that splice. If the panels are side by side fed from the same feeder they would be considered as one panel and the splice/tap is allowed inside one of the panels but not on the lugs. Of course tap rules apply! Ideally this tap would be made in a separate enclosure either way.

I would write it up and recommend the fuse panel be changed out and a panel with ample rating and space be installed in its place. The existing breaker panel can either be consolidated into the new panel or re fed from it.