Thread: 20 Amp plug

Default 20 Amp plug

This one has me scratching my head. Picture shows junction box and outlet in basement directly below electrical panel. The outlet is wired to a 20 Amp breaker, black extension cord with a plug on end comes out of junction box and plugs into outlet which supplies power to outlets upstairs behind entertainment center. Can anyone think of a reason to wire it this way and not just wire the outlets directly to breaker which would have been easier to begin with.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Tom Rees; 05-29-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Member Benefits1
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Lou Romano Guest

Default Re: 20 Amp plug

There is no reason other than lack of knowledge and planning for this installation! Also the romex wiring is exposed to physical damage!

code violation as you can not use rubber cord in place of permanent wiring
    harry homeowner busy at work !

Kary Krismer Guest

Could it be an way to illegally back feed from a generator?

There was no generator at property. This is what I can't figure either, why did he need a 20 Amp plug at entertainment center anyway (house is vacant now)?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    This is what I can't figure either, why did he need a 20 Amp plug at entertainment center anyway (house is vacant now)?
    If you have a lot of large equipment, video/audio/movie/etc buff, yeah, the equipment would easily need a 20 amp circuit, maybe even two 20 amp circuits. I've seen even more 20 amp circuits to entrainment centers.

As the others have said, though, it was not done correctly. My guess is that the 'sound guy' installed the receptacles, and while he may be a great 'sound guy' he apparently knew nothing about electrical wiring ... other than 'he needed a 20 amp circuit' there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com