RobWood Guest

Question Crack in basement wall near I-beam seeping small amount of water

Would like to know if this crack should be checked out by a structural engineer? The crack measures less than 1/8" at the widest point. Water is seeping in at the very bottom of the crack. But what most concerns me is the crack has formed right under an I-beam, right at the corner of the wall.

Should also be noted that this house was built in 2002.

Please give your opinions.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Crack in basement wall near I-beam seeping small amount of water

Quote Originally Posted by RobWood View Post
    Would like to know if this crack should be checked out by a structural engineer? The crack measures less than 1/8" at the widest point. Water is seeping in at the very bottom of the crack. But what most concerns me is the crack has formed right under an I-beam, right at the corner of the wall.

Should also be noted that this house was built in 2002.

Please give your opinions.

Thanks
    For starters, you should not be seeing seepage on an 8 year old poured concrete foundation.

I would be contacting a good foundation contractor. They should be able to tell you if what you have is a problem as far as the I beam and the crack. Without knowing the load on that area it is virtually impossible to give a virtual opinion.

The water seepage is more of an issue to me.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

James Duffin Guest

It looks structural to me so I would have a SE check it.

RobWood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    For starters, you should not be seeing seepage on an 8 year old poured concrete foundation.
    I completely agree

You didn't mention that there is any offset on either side of the crack either vertically or horizontally. So the crack may be shrinkage in nature. At the very least the crack needs to be monitored in order to ascertain if it is active.

It is not uncommon for a foundation with a crack to leak, and this can happen at any point in the age of the foundation, whether its several months old to many years old even if it is circa 2002. Because it is leaking it is for sure the crack extends all the way through. It is also possible for the crack to leak intermittently due to seasonal variances.

RobWood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    You didn't mention that there is any offset on either side of the crack either vertically or horizontally. So the crack may be shrinkage in nature. At the very least the crack needs to be monitored in order to ascertain if it is active.

It is not uncommon for a foundation with a crack to leak, and this can happen at any point in the age of the foundation, whether its several months old to many years old even if it is circa 2002. Because it is leaking it is for sure the crack extends all the way through. It is also possible for the crack to leak intermittently due to seasonal variances.
    Raymond,

The crack appears to be level on both sides. The left side does lean out a little, just enough to catch with your finger nail.

This is actually my house. I have lived in it for almost a year. I noticed the crack when I moved in but havent really noticed a change. Although I plan to monitor it closer now. It has not leaked water until now, even after alot of rain and snow. I believe the water is from pressure washing I was doing around the house a week ago or so. Ive also noticed that the grading needs to be improved in front of the porch/garage where this crack located.

What kind of money am I looking at to have an SE come take a look at this?

Rob

You are probably looking at less than $500. But I am not sure an engineer will be able to tell you if the crack is active from a one time visit.

I think monitoring the crack is a wise move. I would be inclined to afix a glass slide with epoxy over at least two areas of the crack in order to ascertain movement over period of time. If the glass cracks you have a problem.

RobWood Guest

I will def monitor, I like the glass idea.

I have already planned to regrade the land that I think may have helped the water get down there this time. Since I had never seen it leak over the past year. I also think maybe that helped start the crack initially.

What kind of fix would/should a foundation repair company do?

My goal would be to restore the compression strength and seal it so water cannot seep through

RobWood Guest

Is there any reason to have an Structural Engineer involved at this point rather than a Foundation Repair expert?

There are two choices for repair.

1. Excavation and water proofing and membrane
    2. Polyurethane injection from interior.

However if it is a footing problem then the costs would be much more to correct.

RobWood Guest

There are two choices for repair.

1. Excavation and water proofing and membrane
    2. Polyurethane injection from interior.

However if it is a footing problem then the costs would be much more to correct.
    Polyurethane injection from interior is my first choice. I guess I can monitor from that point and address problems if they cont.

What kind of things would I notice if it was a footing problem?

James Duffin Guest

My guess is that a SE would suggest taking the load off of the cracked pier with steel support post. I wouldn't wait until it cracks more. That's like waiting for the ceiling to fall before you fix a roof leak.

RobWood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    My guess is that a SE would suggest taking the load off of the cracked pier with steel support post. I wouldn't wait until it cracks more. That's like waiting for the ceiling to fall before you fix a roof leak.
    I see your point. I was thinking the same thing.

I dont know much about foundations but to add a support post does the floor need reinforced to properly support the post?

James Duffin Guest

More than likely you would need to install a footing for any additional support. The floor would not be sufficient in most cases.

Again, contact a good foundation contractor. Many will have a PE on staff and they can also address the water seepage problem.

My gut feeling is that if that crack has been around for 8 years or since the home was built then it is not really a structural issue.

The proper repair for any water seepage in a basement should come from the exterior wall.

Do you know if a water removal system was placed at the base of the foundation walls when the home was built?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

RobWood Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Again, contact a good foundation contractor. Many will have a PE on staff and they can also address the water seepage problem.

My gut feeling is that if that crack has been around for 8 years or since the home was built then it is not really a structural issue.

The proper repair for any water seepage in a basement should come from the exterior wall.

Do you know if a water removal system was placed at the base of the foundation walls when the home was built?
    Scott, I have no idea if water removal system was installed when the home was built.

James Duffin Guest

I would get the problem evaluated by someone other than the person who might do the repair. For the same reason HI are not allowed to do repairs on a house they inspect...at least in NC.

Ted Menelly Guest

Polyurethane injection from interior is my first choice. I guess I can monitor from that point and address problems if they cont.

Poly injection from the inside addresses nothing about water coming in from the outside or the crack. It is a complete waste of money. Any time you have a crack in the foundation and the water already coming in it is past time to dig up outside and correct the problem and address why cracking is taking place at the same time.

I think the most obvious sign of footing problems would be displacement, sideways movement, or spreading, widening at the top or bottom of the crack.
    It has not leaked water until now, even after a lot of rain and snow. I believe the water is from pressure washing I was doing around the house a week ago or so.
    Simple. Hang up a high watt light bulb or heat lamp and dry it all out. Monitor over time. But if there is any sideways pressure on that wall from fill or slope, I would get it checked out right away.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ted, I don't know what experience you have had with polyurethane, but I have not had similar experience nor have others who have had this type of repair.

There are situations where excavation is just not practical.

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted, I don't know what experience you have had with polyurethane, but I have not had similar experience nor have others who have had this type of repair.

There are situations where excavation is just not practical.
    Does the term leaking butane bottle filling the home spark any thoughts.

Just kidding. Yes. Some homes are too close together or there is a pool several feet from the home etc etc. Poly is a temp fix if pressure is already pushing water thru the crack.

Never mind pressure right now. Lets just say standing water outside against the foundation. to many things to take into account with out a thorough eval of the property but I am certainly not going to go....whats his name.......Bubba or something like that. Anyway...inside fixes are always just a temp fix no matter how sound the logic or how good the product. Eventually something outside is going to have to be done.

Crack....water coming in........not good news to have to deal with. It is only going to get worse over time.