brianmiller Guest

Default Lateral bracing for Porch systems

Are the brackets attached to the top of the posts "proper" lateral support to prevent the porch from racking? I say no, but an inspector friend says yes.

Brian

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Lateral bracing for Porch systems

I would think that the roof itself would keep it from racking, whether those little corner braces were present or not. How did it feel?

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I would think that the roof itself would keep it from racking, whether those little corner braces were present or not.
    I agree with Jim unless this is the house with 1x4's 4' on center, then I think it would need some bracing, and no the bracing in the pic is not sufficient. JMHO

brianmiller Guest

The posts felt solid, not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Are the brackets attached to the top of the posts "proper" lateral support to prevent the porch from racking? I say no, but an inspector friend says yes.
    If you really want to know, you need to get yourself an engineering friend. That picture is wholly insufficient to determine whether it is adequately braced or not. We would need to see measurements, joint detail, and know the material used, as well as determine the lateral forces that might be applied (wind shear, etc.) before we can know with any degree of certainty.

Given some basic assumptions I can envision scenarios where that bracing is sufficient and some where it is insufficient.