Thread: Radon System

Default Radon System

I've never seen this done before. What appears to be a Radon System is vented into the waste line. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Radon System

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    I've never seen this done before. What appears to be a Radon System is vented into the waste line. Any thoughts?
    That is a powered vent system!

It is also wrong! Look above the fan at the joist, it looks like a PVC pipe has been cut off. I wonder if that was for the radon mit system? It needs to be a stand alone vent pipe not connected to the homes plumbing vent system.

If that is a living area above the fan, it is wrong. Fan can go in the attic, outside, in the garage (if it does not have a living area above it)

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Very little right about that installation. In addition to what Scott pointed out the system is not labeled as a radon mitigation system and there are no indicators that show if the fan is creating adequate suction.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Right! I am just trying to figure it out. No vacume gauge. So why is it wrong to use the vent system to vent Radon gas?
    This vent though appears to be pressurizing out to the street through the main drain line though. Not into the vent line.
    What else could it be?

So why is it wrong to use the vent system to vent Radon gas?
    This vent though appears to be pressurizing out to the street through the main drain line though. Not into the vent line.
    What else could it be?
    The entire DWV system is designed and intended not to be pressurized, and pressurizing any part of the DWV system will pressurize the entire system to varying degrees. When the DWV system is pressurized it will no longer vent properly, it could also force sewer gas past the traps.

Also, it could fill the municipal sewer lines with radon, and that would not be a good thing if your house (yes, think of it being your house connected that way) was connected to that radon filled sewer line, would it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, I would have to agree Jerry, Noe that you put it that wayHave you ever seen a setup like this before?

Have you ever seen a setup like this before?
    I have not seen any radon mitigation systems installed as there is no need for them down here (except in isolated areas, which I have not been in).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

One of the pleasant by-products of a sub-slab depressurization radon mitigation system is the fact that as radon and air is drawn from below the slab moisture is as well so the dessication affect can help prevent musty or damp smelling basements or possibly even dry them out to some extent.

Since the system in the photo appears to be in a basement the bottom end of the piping in question must disappear into the floor? The system is not marked as a radon mitigation system and it lacks the typical sight glass plus the fan is located within the building envelope which is not allowed in a mitigation system so perhaps, and I admit this may be a stretch, it is installed to attempt to dry the area beneath the slab?

None-the-less a fan in the DWV system line is never allowed and can actually be dangerous to occupants, for reasons previously stated.

Nice looking installation though!

The gizmo at the top of the loop in line above the fan is interesting. It looks like it could be either a check valve or a clean out. It looks like a mfg. item.

Was the fan operating at the time of the inspection?

Perhaps the system is a pressurized assist for sewage flow like the ones in toilet tanks that seem to explode when the flush handle is pushed and scare the hell out of ya!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Phil Brody Guest

Not so fast, that pro-ported sanitary T does not look conventional, maybe it is split. With the quality of the rest of the installation I'd be carefull to pull the trigger so fast. What about the elbow to no where ?

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Perhaps that's not a radon system at all but a bidet air drying system! The pleasure of air dry could be a huge seller!

I have this funny feeling that the unused pipes run up through the wall cavity but do not exit through the nice slate roof cause someone forgot. And since this was an easy solution, and mabey after the C.O. Wallah!! zeeradonsystem wi? No!
    Jury's still out. I have calls in for the installing contractor for a face to face.
    Michael, you must be used to XL bidets yeah I know, I don't use it. My wife does, and therein lies the problem