Default Chicago NIC-ASHI HVAC class Saturday

Someone called out my name at the end NIC-ASHI HVAC class in Chicago Saturday and asked my to identify myself, and in retrospect my reply might have seemed bit unfriendly.

Wasn't meant that way at all - I was just a bit startled by the request, and my mind was on writing the class evaluation.

I went looking for the person who asked after class so we could introduce ourselves, but they had apparently already left.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Chicago NIC-ASHI HVAC class Saturday

I was trying to put a face with the name on the board. Sorry I didn't get to meet you but I kept missing you during the breaks. From Michigan so we left early. Maybe next time. I enjoy read your postings and will catch up with you someday.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

I saw you there Michael but didn't get a chance to say "hi."

I'm curious what their evaluations were like.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Eric, I saw you there, read the name tag looking for MT but didn't put you with IN. Next time for both.
    I thought it was too basic for the time I traveled to get there. Was hoping for more on boilers.
    It was great that we were invited though.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up Re: Chicago NIC-ASHI HVAC class Saturday

Next time I will send out IN logo stickers to put on your shirts so you can tell who is in the IN crowd when you are at a conference

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

This was not a worthwhile class for me - I was looking for a class outlining a structured approach to the inspection of heating systems, well though-out and researched analysis of conversational topics (say, heat exchanger inspections in the context of HI), suggestions for liability control, or some combination of such topics.

What I got was an ill-organized presentation by someone used to teaching HVAC installation and maintenance to techs.

But then, this has pretty much been my experience at such classes...

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 06-09-2010 at 03:22 AM.
    Michael Thomas

I think that when you have instructors who pretty much stay in the classroom you're going to have presenters who don't relate well to those in the field. Rich Hokes was weak on hydronic systems - where he did do well was on avoiding questions on the topic. The emailed seminar announcement, the introduction of the speaker and the certificate all said this was advanced stuff. It certainly never met that level. I agree Michael, this is a pretty common experience.

The test was pretty pathetic too. I could really take issue with some of the wording of questions and the options of answers. Not much surprise that we see the caliber of HVAC tech workmanship in the field that we do.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

FWIW, The only useful resources I've found for HVAC inspection advice (other than Dale Febs excellent fireplace class - the best CE I've ever taken, and of course postings and discussions of narrow sections of the topic here and on other boards) are the various Dearborn books and "Heating Systems Inspections" by Joseph and Michael Scaduto - the latter is sometimes eccentrically opinionated and not ideally organized but there is a lot of information in there if you're willing to dig it out.

(The Aduel "HVAC Fundamentals" series also has a lot of information, and some winter I'm going to slog through it and coordinated with my HI heating and cooling inspection notes.)

But really, we ought to be able to obtain good education on this topic without having to write it ourselves on an individual basis.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 06-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Michael Thomas

Michael Thomas says
    This was not a worthwhile class for me - I was looking for a class outlining a structured approach to the inspection of heating systems, well though-out and researched analysis of conversational topics (say, heat exchanger inspections in the context of HI), suggestions for liability control, or some combination of such topics.

What I got was an ill-organized presentation by someone used to teaching HVAC installation and maintenance to techs.

But then, this has pretty much been my experience at such classes...
    Eric Barker says
    Rich Hokes was weak on hydronic systems - where he did do well was on avoiding questions on the topic. The emailed seminar announcement, the introduction of the speaker and the certificate all said this was advanced stuff. It certainly never met that level. I agree Michael, this is a pretty common experience.

The test was pretty pathetic too. I could really take issue with some of the wording of questions and the options of answers. Not much surprise that we see the caliber of HVAC tech workmanship in the field that we do.
    Michael says
    But really, we ought to be able to obtain good education on this topic without having to write it ourselves on an individual basis.
    Then watch this 2 minute-long video Learn How to Inspect the HVAC System - InterNACHI
    Just press the PLAY arrow and turn the volume up!!!

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Local HVAC supply houses have ongoing CE classes on various systems for very reasonable prices. Some classes are Manufacturer or Unit specific, some are general to advanced. Classes are usually in the evenings or saturdays. You won't get State approved CE credits but you will get good knowledge and contacts. The binders of info also tend to be far more informative and useful than things handed out at approved CE classes.
    Having taken the class, I would highly recommend an R410a AC Cert class.
    I've taken 3 days of non approved CE so far this spring. 1 day roofing, 1 day insulation, 1 day blower door. I really need to start taking those stupid approved CE soon. Maybe after I do my 1 day of Crane inspection training. Don't know what I'll use that for but you never know what CE comes in handy sometimes.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"