mathew stouffer Guest

Default Flashing around fireplace vent

This is a vent for a gas fireplace. I am not sure what type of vent, they painted over the label. Is this type of flashing, (rubber) even rated for contact with fireplace vents, depending on the type.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Flashing around fireplace vent

If it isn't leaking now it soon will be. Never checked to see if any of the neoprene boots are heat rated or not. Never been an issue to know.
    Beyond the heat rating the poor install is another factor. With the boot crumpled down like that water/ice will sit there instead of just running off. The boot being up against the metal roof seam could also be an issue as far as an warranty or repair on the roof. Lots of leak potential there.
    I would be telling me client, expect it to leak and expect a costly proper repair.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

El crapola. I love how a section of the boot had to be molded to the metal standing seam on the roof.

They make specific flashing for metal roofs and for that application, but as Markus and Nick have noted you don't have that.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Pretty. I am on a role as of late.

David Bell Guest

A.D.s picture is not correct either as it has no rain collar above the roof flashing. It is especially important to have one on an installation that may expand and contract due to temp changes.

David Bell Guest

A.D, the designation of the picture as yours was to define it from Matt's pic. But if you feel the need to correct people on such things, keep in mind that it may be Her decision.

Last edited by David Bell; 06-10-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    but that of the manufacturer of the flashing, (2) If the manufacturer did not design his flashing or jack to be used with a storm collar, then that is his decision,
    Not entirely ... the manufacturer of the Type B Gas Vent will show the storm collar around the vent at the top of the flashing, which means the storm collar is needed, the flashing below the storm collar would be as designed by the flashing manufacturer to accommodate the various roofing materials the flashing is being installed on.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here is just one example of several types of rubber boots for gas or wood fuel chimneys. Note the warnings in the install instructions.
    16a5943f6bf54c81877a4890ba385fc43.pdf

David Bell Guest

I do so hope that JP reads that document carefully. If he does, he will note the universal storm collar that is present in the photo I posted . . .
    Correct,, the storm collar is there,,,but did you read the instructions,,the seam should be at the lower part of the roof. I didn't see it before because of the install.

Cool check the listing

This flashing product was specifically tested and listed for only certain specific models of Canadian approved chimney from only one mfr. It cannot be used on US approved chimney or other vents.

FYI, Canadian factory chimney is listed to S629, which requires it to withstand a continuous burn at 1,200F, a one hour burn at 1,700F and three 30 minute burns at 2,100F. The US std, UL 103HT, requires a continuous burn at 1,000F, a one hour burn at 1,400F and three 10 minute burns at 2,100F. In other words, what passes with the better insulated Canadian chimney may not pass with US-approved chimney. Also, we don't know how it responds to gas and other type vents because it wasn't tested with them. We do know many vents and chimneys require a very specific flashing and/ or venting of chase tops. This makes the storm collar part of the cooling system. If you glue the storm collar down tight as this product instructs you to, it may trap too much heat for another appliance. Note the excess heat doesn't have to cause a fire---only cause damage, which in this case, could mean premature failure of the rubber boot and thus leaks.

Many mfrs have begun making their own listed DSA or Dead Soft Aluminum flashings for use with their specific products. This material can be molded to irregular surfaces such as corrugated roofing. In the meantime, the best solution to penetrating such roofs is to build a chase or curb and have the roofer roof over it, then install a typical chase top flashing.

HTH,

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

I do so hope that JP reads that document carefully. If he does, he will note the universal storm collar that is present in the photo I posted . . .
    I do hope that Aaron reads that document carefully. If he does he will not that a storm collar is specified in 9. on page 3, just as I said was required ... and
    "which means the storm collar is needed, the flashing below the storm collar would be as designed by the flashing manufacturer"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not entirely ... the manufacturer of the Type B Gas Vent will show the storm collar around the vent at the top of the flashing, which means the storm collar is needed, the flashing below the storm collar would be as designed by the flashing manufacturer to accommodate the various roofing materials the flashing is being installed on.
    On Aaron's behalf, though, I will state that the photo he posted does show a universal storm collar installed ... and on my behalf I will state that I said a storm collar was needed ... so there!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com