Default Looking for Pictures

I'm working on a presentation for homeowner's and I'm looking for pictures that could be called, "Reasons for a HOA!"

Not talking about the typical defects we post on here, but pictures of the exterior of the home which may make a buyer think twice of buying in the neighborhood.

If you have those type of pictures and would like to share them with me, you can send them by email to me at rickhurst05@charter.net

I don't want to be posted here so we don't use Brian's bandwidth.

Of those I choose to use, I will give you credit by posting your home inspection company name on them.

rick

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Philip Guest

Default Re: Looking for Pictures

Once again I am at a loss. What is HOA? I know CYA, WTF, LOL and maybe a few others, but all the acronyms leave me scratching my head. Now I know that one or some or most of you can rattle off the meaning of all of the initials, so what I would like to see is a list of acronyms and their meaning. It is not just in this industry, I see it everywhere. Just what in the hell is WTFAYTA?
    Rick, if you wondering how to tell your clients that there are hypodermic needles in the street and there is the smell of crank cooking coming out of the house next door, you just tell them this house just might not be the neighborhood you want to bring your family into.
    Which is why HIs should be LTC.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    What is HOA?
    Home Owners Association

Once again I am at a loss.
    Acronyms List

Abbreviations.com

Read these lists, then GFAG.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

What I'm doing is giving a small presentation to actual HOA that are already formed. Some of these HOA's are considering closing their HOA down simply because of dues or homeowners not wanting to follow the guidelines formed by their committee's.

I'm in an HOA myself and serve as Vice President so I hear all of the complaints about someone else's yard not being maintained or someone's property being in poor condition. All I have to do is pull out a few home inspection pictures and show them conditions that I see and everyone all of sudden wants to be on the same page again.

I understand everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think when you buy a home and are given all the rules and regulations set forth by the HOA of that neighborhood you should be willing to follow them.

rick

Most of what I've heard of HOAs is pretty bad.

7 year old roofs that need to be replaced on a 300 unit townhome complex. Insurance says defective shingles, shingle manufacturers say hail damage, I saw both. Neither will pay. HOA won't replace them because it would be $800,000. Also won't cover the water damage to the interior of the units.

HOA says they cover window replacement. President of the Association is a glazer and has 12 bad seals. Tells them he'll replace them for the cost of the glass. Association tables the discussion. Immediately after tabling they take a vote to change the regulations stating the association will no longer be responsible for the windows.

HOA sending out letters because someone complains about windchimes on a porch, but there's nothing in the bylaws against them.

HOA bylaws say they cover roof. The 30 year old cedar shakes need to be replaced. They change the bylaws and assess each property $8,000 to replace their section of roof. Owners can't get a loan so the owners have to sell their home.

HOA having no money to do maintenance because over half of the units are foreclosed.

Little old ladys with nothing better to do but patrol the grounds and yell at the home inspector for parking in an "assigned" spot of a vacant, foreclosed home.

I've never been in an HOA and would never want to be in one.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ken,

Thats everyone's right to choose to be in an HOA or not.

But when you buy a home and know your buying in an HOA and there are rules set forth, you should abide by them or [possibly sell your home and buy you some land out away from everyone else and do as you please.

Many people buy into HOA neighborhoods cause they are maintained well. There are many thousands of them across the country which are highly maintained and very desirable neighborhoods.

I'm not one of those people who think if you don't mow your yard or pay your dues on time, let foreclose on your property.

As far as not having money to take care of properties, that is first sign of a poorly managed HOA and I can understand frustrations with those.

Ours actually runs an overage some years and we rebate the homeowners some of their dues back.

rick

Kary Krismer Guest

Ken, you're thinking of something like a condo association. In this context an HOA is just an entity that maintains rules for the neighborhood, like fining people who have barking dogs, don't mow their lawns, let the exterior of their house decay.

I'll email Rick the story of why we moved from a neighborhood in Seattle (no-HOA) to a neighborhood with a very strong/active HOA. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ours actually runs an overage some years and we rebate the homeowners some of their dues back.
    Free Money I like this kind of HOA...

bEsT

rOn...... Free stuff

Rick ,what you want is deferred maintenance shots.
    Lots of those on fannie mae draws and condo inspections.

For the other ,I always tell people to go back at night to see how they feel about an area.

Philip Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Acronyms List

Abbreviations.com

Thanks, John. I put this on my favorite list. Now I really feel informed.

Byron Brubaker Guest

Talking Re: Looking for Pictures

Once again I am at a loss. What is HOA? I know CYA, WTF, LOL and maybe a few others, but all the acronyms leave me scratching my head. Now I know that one or some or most of you can rattle off the meaning of all of the initials, so what I would like to see is a list of acronyms and their meaning. It is not just in this industry, I see it everywhere. Just what in the hell is WTFAYTA?
    Rick, if you wondering how to tell your clients that there are hypodermic needles in the street and there is the smell of crank cooking coming out of the house next door, you just tell them this house just might not be the neighborhood you want to bring your family into.
    Which is why HIs should be LTC.
    Hey, you forgot "OMG" < The reaction before entering a house just knowing you won't get out alive. As far as the "meth" cooking smell, 'A thousand cats urinating in the neighborhood' comes to mind... worthy of a "Keep looking for another property" response.

............. Just what in the hell is WTFAYTA? ............
    Just taking a stab at it, "What The F--- Are You Talking About!"

Philip Guest

Mr. Chambers, YGTR.

Philip Guest

BTW, in Louisville they refer to it as Residential Restrictions. One homeowner wanted a white mail box and was sued. It was in the restrictions that they must have a black mail box. The courts came down on the side of the restrictions, now all of the mail boxes in the neighborhood are black.
    In fairness, the people signed the documents agreeing to abide by the rules, and then decided they did not have to. I advise to look at the deed restrictions before buying, and if you do not like what you read then find another place to live.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Acronyms List

Abbreviations.com

John, I am scared to ask, but are you saying after reading the list that he should....go, do something, with a goat?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    John, I am scared to ask, but are you saying after reading the list that he should....go, do something, with a goat?
    Acronyms List - Us Army Acronyms (official)

I meant Go Find At Google.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca