Default American Standard Bolier Age Help

Can anyone help me with the age for this Amercan Standard Boiler. The data plates were not legible. The plate on the inside of the burner access door did have a number in the lower left corner which reads
    1-ST-12763. Could it be as simple as manufactured on Dec 7, 1963. The day before I was born. House was built in 1958.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: American Standard Bolier Age Help

If the house was built in '58 it would be odd to have a '63 boiler. From the look of it, I'd suspect it's the original.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    If the house was built in '58 it would be odd to have a '63 boiler. From the look of it, I'd suspect it's the original.
    That's true....I should of qualified the build date with per the MLS listing the house was built in 1958.

If no one can confirm that number in that location as a possible manufactured date I intend to date it as "probably original to the home"

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The Data Plate says American-Standard Plumbing and Heating Division.

ARSS became "American-Standard" on/about 1967.

Based only on what is visible on the data plate under its dirt accumulations, I'd put it between 1967 & 1975.

The Lighting sequence plate's document number is not the serial number for the appliance, that is on the data plate.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-11-2010 at 11:02 PM.

I'd put it a mid to late 60's. Not sure about into the 70's. In cases like this I always tell clients, 'it could run another day or another 10 years, start saving for a new boiler, replace now before winter, etc.'
    It's always good to check underneath these old boilers to see how big the piles of rust flakes are coming off of the cast sections.
    If it's clean down there maybe it isn't rusting out or they are having it properly serviced. If there a piles of rust flakes, it could go anytime.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Despite attempts to blow up and read the photo submitted, when I do so It becomes distorted and un-readable; however, after many attempts to blow up and re-pixel, I believe it may actually be an ARSS unit as the last line on the data plate may well be saying "American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corp, New York" - that would place the unit prior to late 1967.

If the Data plate references American Radiator & Standard Sanitary (ARSS) Corp, then it would be prior to circa late months of 1967. Perhaps the OP can submit a finer resolution picture or one blown up of the data plate bottom (or confirm for himself).

American Radiator and Standard Sanitary (ARSS) became/renamed American-Standard reorganized Plumbing and Heating Products division.

American-Standard divested its Heating Products/Manufacturing (as well as other products) completed circa 1975 in Re-organization.

AS didn't get back into the area (air conditioning) until it purchased Trane circa 1983 IIRC.

Certification logos on the data plate as well.

Therefore with the boiler data plate bearing the American-Standard (note the hyphen separating the differing fonts for "American" and "Standard") at the top "American-Standard Gas Boiler" and at the bottom of the data plate "Plumbing and Heating Division" and without being able to make out (not even wiped off) the stamped information on the data plate, narrowed the period between 1967 and 1975. Not sure if the boiler manufacturing ended/stoped prior to the furnace manufacturing or at the same time reorganization and closures was 1973-1975 IIRC, if the data plate references ARSS (AR&SS, a.k.a. American Radiator & Standard Sanitary) I'd put it prior to late 1967.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks for the help...I listed it as "estimated to be 40+ years old"

H.G. ... I tried to clean the data plates in order to get a better pic and or read them better, but they were just too far gone. I think I'm going to add a magnifying glass to my tool bag for instances like these.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Despite attempts to blow up and read the photo submitted, when I do so It becomes distorted and un-readable; however, after many attempts to blow up and re-pixel, I believe it may actually be an ARSS unit as the last line on the data plate may well be saying "American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corp, New York" - that would place the unit prior to late 1967.

If the Data plate references American Radiator & Standard Sanitary (ARSS) Corp, then it would be prior to circa late months of 1967. Perhaps the OP can submit a finer resolution picture or one blown up of the data plate bottom (or confirm for himself).

American Radiator and Standard Sanitary (ARSS) became/renamed American-Standard reorganized Plumbing and Heating Products division.

American-Standard divested its Heating Products/Manufacturing (as well as other products) completed circa 1975 in Re-organization.

AS didn't get back into the area (air conditioning) until it purchased Trane circa 1983 IIRC.

Certification logos on the data plate as well.

Therefore with the boiler data plate bearing the American-Standard (note the hyphen separating the differing fonts for "American" and "Standard") at the top "American-Standard Gas Boiler" and at the bottom of the data plate "Plumbing and Heating Division" and without being able to make out (not even wiped off) the stamped information on the data plate, narrowed the period between 1967 and 1975. Not sure if the boiler manufacturing ended/stoped prior to the furnace manufacturing or at the same time reorganization and closures was 1973-1975 IIRC, if the data plate references ARSS (AR&SS, a.k.a. American Radiator & Standard Sanitary) I'd put it prior to late 1967.
    Nice post, I'm guessing your hair is close to the same color as mine.

To the subject, and even though it bothers me, I would venture that this is one place where the owner could get a nice rebate check for replacing that boiler. At best it is probably 60% efficient.