Joe Titka Guest

Default black rubber tubing on baseboard heat

I did an inspection today and found this black rubber hose used to connect all the basement baseboard heating elements to the system.I was unable to read any of the markings. The home was built in 2004. Am i correct in thinking that this should not be used at any time in this manner? Any thoughts ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Joe Titka Guest

Default Re: black rubber tubing on baseboard heat

Not one comment... from this group? Has anyone seen this before? Its a first for me.

Cool Re: black rubber tubing on baseboard heat

Looks like automotive heater hose. I would write it up as suspicious and refer to a hydronics professional. Also, your AHJ would probably shoot it down as an unapproved material.
    HTH,

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Joe Titka Guest

Thanks Bob,Those were my thoughts also, but i always like to get some opinions just in case there's something new out there. It was being written up because it has already started to break down and leak at connections.

Have to agree with Bob, looks like radiator hose to me too. I guess it's possible your jurisdiction could allow it but I seriously doubt it.
    The hose might actually hold up ok. I think the real concern is the friction clamp, that's the part I would trust the least in this case.
    I write the whole set-up for proper replacement and let the client know that costs could be high.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Joe Titka Guest

That's just what i did, and i doubt it will last very long. the exposed part had a softer,sticky feel to it already. I also thought it might be automotive hose, but i was curious if there was a black version of Kitec.Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated.

Before PEX became so popular there was a black rubber hose material that was used for radiant heating systems. It was primarliy used in staple up systems where it would be secured to the underside of a wood floor.

I am sorry but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called. But I do know it was very durable stuff.

FYI, it would be acceptable to use PEX in it's place today so it may very well be acceptable.

Joe Titka Guest

Thanks Rod, that may be what they used, but if it was for radiant heat, is it possible the higher temps of the baseboard heating is causing it to break down prematurely?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Titka View Post
    Thanks Rod, that may be what they used, but if it was for radiant heat, is it possible the higher temps of the baseboard heating is causing it to break down prematurely?
    hmm, good question. Not sure. Bottom line is if it is breaking down it is a concern.