Thread: nice job

Default nice job

I guess he didn't notice the window.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

David Bell Guest

Default Re: nice job

12" clearance to window seems fine to me, intake may be too far away tho, most manufacturers require it to be within 20" of exhaust to keep pressure switch happy

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    12" clearance to window seems fine to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    I guess he didn't notice the window.
    Clearance to basement window appears to be 2" +/-

So David, You would have no doubts at all of having your children play all afternoon in that basement area with the window open and the water heater running?
    Not an attack, just an example to determine if I am overreacting.
    I see it as the exhaust collection in the well and with the window open, entering the basement area. 12" or no 12" rule.
    Just looks suspect to my overprotective mind.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Looks like a bulkhead door to the left of the intake will block airflow or might damage intake when bulkhead opened fully/unrestrained. Both alcove/pit type effects (bulkhead near intake and window well at exhaust) might be a headache with pressure/wind problems.

Basement window appears an operable one - and metal screen frame, is that the case?

From this view, also appears the exhaust vent is actually directing within the "footprint" confines of the galvanized window well and will drain within same. The clearance and such to this window well "wall" in addition to the basement window itself do seem concerning.

I'm thinking with the contrast and perhaps not having viewed other than the thumbnail view perhaps David Bell thought you were referring to the window grouping above (picture window flanked by two operable windows).

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-11-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks guys,

Kary Krismer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    So David, You would have no doubts at all of having your children play all afternoon in that basement area with the window open and the water heater running?
    Not an attack, just an example to determine if I am overreacting.
    I see it as the exhaust collection in the well and with the window open, entering the basement area. 12" or no 12" rule.
    Just looks suspect to my overprotective mind.
    I'm not following this one. Isn't the pipe near the window well an intake pipe? And doesn't heat (exhaust) rise? I'd be more concerned about the proximity of the pipe on the left to the window above it.

David Bell Guest

To all, the exhaust side is near the bulkhead, the intake near the basement window. From strictly a code standpoint it is compliant, whether or not I would let my kids play nearby is not the issue. It has the 12" required from the window above.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    To all, the exhaust side is near the bulkhead, the intake near the basement window. From strictly a code standpoint it is compliant, whether or not I would let my kids play nearby is not the issue. It has the 12" required from the window above.
    You are usually correct in your post so I am not questioning that but how can you tell from the picture what pipe is doing what?

David Bell Guest

The exhaust side is pitched back to the unit for drainage purposes not needing an elbow on it to prevent water or other contaminates from entering. The only problem I see is a concentric reducer on the end of the exhaust, while a reducer may be ok, it should be eccentric to allow condensate to escape the pipe easily.

The installation guide will (should) state the termination should be 12" above the anticipated snow level.
    Here in NJ, the anticipated snow level is 6 inches so the termination should be 18 inches above the grade.

You need to find out the anticipated snow level in Conn,.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)