Blain Plantz Guest

Default Is a back flow preventer required on Forced Hot Water boiler systems

I inspected a home with a forced hot water system today in an unincorporated part of a rural county in Colorado. The water is provided by the municipality but sewer and gas are not. In any case the boiler is connected to the main water supply just below the water heater. It seams to me that the system should include a back flow preventer.Any help is appreciated

Thanks
    Blain

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Is a back flow preventer required on Forced Hot Water boiler systems

Absolutely, positively MUST have a check valve on the water supply to the boiler. Without it you run the risk of contaminating the potable water supply. Considering the rust and potential chemicals in the boiler water, no check valve is a big NO-NO. I wouldn't be surprised if the County killed the water supply to the property until a check valve is installed. If of course they become aware of it. Is a final meter reading/water Cert required to close on a deal in your area? Might want to mention it to the client.
    Just curious, what's the deal with the chicken wire fence around the boiler.
    What thickness is that drywall behind the boiler and is there any space in between the unit and the wall?

Last edited by Markus Keller; 06-16-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additional observation
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Blain Plantz Guest

Default Re: Is a back flow preventer required on Forced Hot Water boiler systems

Chicken wire is more an enclosure just used to isolate the appliances from the natural path through the room. I can' t say for sure there is a space between the original structure and this newer room. Based on the attic area above the transition there could be.

As far as the water meter reading I can't say how that is done but I did not find a meter on the exterior of the home water might be a part of some HOA fee.

the boiler was serviced about 18 months ago and nothing was noted with this check down valve or aback flow preventer. It looked odd to me, I am not reporting anything to anyone except to my client. Thanks anything else I should address? I don't see many of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Absolutely, positively MUST have a check valve on the water supply to the boiler. Without it you run the risk of contaminating the potable water supply. ?
    Not just a check valve but a back-flow preventer and preferably a reduced pressure back-flow preventer. You don't want your boiler operating at the same pressure as the municipal water supply.

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    Not just a check valve but a back-flow preventer and preferably a reduced pressure back-flow preventer. You don't want your boiler operating at the same pressure as the municipal water supply.

Backflo requirements are the standard in CT whether or not you are on a muni system. Protecting wells and also waterfront properties has come to the forefront of CT codes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    Backflo requirements are the standard in CT whether or not you are on a muni system. Protecting wells and also waterfront properties has come to the forefront of CT codes.

Good point. I think we are all facing the same issue.

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    Watts sells a combo backflow /auto feed valve which cuts down on install time and works well. And it's priced right, In the $65 to $75 range