Jonathan Cartwright Guest

Talking Why do I need a home inspection?

Here are some examples from this week. I want to thank these guys for keeping me in business.

One is an old pic - attic space approximately 30 sq.ft. with MAMMOTH light. Funny water stains on floor - imagine that. Others include the floating water heater draft hood, the extreme homemade sink trap, the newest way to keep the hose bibb from freezing and the shower light.

Have a great day.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Why do I need a home inspection?

Number 2 is an absolute classic.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Kary Krismer Guest

Number 1 is very amateurish. There's too little height there to allow the plants to bud.

I don't know, they are all classic. I'm going with the trap as me favorite. Have to second Kary on the light, don't know why else a light like that would be there. At least they tried on the draft hood.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Jonathan Cartwright Guest

You ain't gonna believe this but these are from two houses done today.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Those pics belong in the "look honey, I fixed it" series of amateur repair jokes going around.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    Those pics belong in the "look honey, I fixed it" series of amateur repair jokes going around.
    There, I Fixed It - Redneck Repairs

Michael Thomas

Kary Krismer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Cartwright View Post
    You ain't gonna believe this but these are from two houses done today.
    That first one is like a house I saw, where they added a bathroom toilet just off the garage. I joked to the clients it was for when you really needed to get home badly!

Not an inspection, but brought to my attention by someone here in the city:

"Help!

I live in Chicago. My girlfriend has the only garden apartment in her building that has wall to wall carpeting (navy blue, plush). She hates it. Every other unit has nice 16” ceramic tiles. Anyway, to be a good boyfriend, I took it upon myself to surprise her by installing the 16’s myself while she was out of town for work.

Now, the ceramic looks great, but it’s moving/teetering a whole lot. None of the tiles have cracked, but when I walk on them, they “give” BIG time. I’m also noticing that the grout is crumbling and I can hear the edges of the tiles’ mortar beds scraping together. Also, in the areas where I’m going to be putting the threshold pieces, I’m noticing that mortar and grout dust is coming out from under the edges of the tiles.

I’m worried that the Thinset didn’t adhere to the carpeting.

I’m scared as hell because she’s going to freak out on me if she walks across her new tile floor, and it feels like a friggin’ rope suspension bridge.

I have about 2 days to fix this. Someone told me that I can minimize movement by installing the threshold pieces--that this would “stabilize” it. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. "

I Need HELP With An 11th Hour Tiling Project - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Michael Thomas

probably didn't use the thinset that was listed to stick to carpeting!

Kary Krismer Guest

#9 really did have me LOL. But I do have a hard time believing that's for real.

More good stuff, from a subsequent post in the thread by the original poster:

"OK, how do I get the tile up? Brute force? Scraper? I might just hire someone. This is awful. You know, the worst part of it is that the other day her father apparently made some flippant comment to her about how my head is "filled with silly ideas." It really upset me. Now when she sees this mess, it might corroborate her father's opinion."