Default Old water heater age

Trying to determine the age of this water heater.

AO Smith
    Model # PGL-40-710
    Serial # A8762-1E10084

The serial number doesn't seem to conform to any of the age charts I've found looking through previous posts:

AO Smith -Can be confusing; digits may be comprised of letters & numbers. May be one, two, or no letters.
    If two letters first, next two numbers are year.
    If one letter first, followed by two numbers and another letter, next two numbers are year.
    If one letter first, next two numbers are year, providing no letter follows.
    If two numbers first, this is year.

It looks really old -- still pumped out hot water though. I'm thinking it's original to the house (built in 1962). Does that seem right??

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    -Jon
    Errickson Home Inspections, LLC
    http://www.erricksonhomeinspections.com

Default Re: Old water heater age

That is a very old looking heater. I found if the current charts do not work calling the manufacture and asking them is a huge help. I just recently had to call them to get the right part # on a 30 year old boiler they made. They still make it but the new part #'s do not cross refrance with the old ones properly. Here is A.O. Smith's 800 # 800-527-1953

Yes, it's original. It doesn't really matter though because it's, "beyond its predicted life span and should be replaced". Plus, no TPR valve on the tank. The water line pressure valve looks like it's leaked in the past. It needs to go.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Thanks guys. I did inform the client this unit is well beyond its expected lifespan and will need to be replaced. There was some type of temperature relief valve on it (see pic).

The house also had two original, 1962, Lennox furnaces. They fired right up but lots of rust and corrosion in the burner chambers.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    It needs to go.
    Actually, I might say it needs a TPR valve and let the client decide about keeping it going with a new valve in it.

That could be a copper tank, no?

I found this Inglis glass-lined tank a while ago. It has a TPRV, but I called for a new one. Anyone recognize this antique valve?

Last edited by John Kogel; 06-17-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Yes, it's original. It doesn't really matter though because it's, "beyond its predicted life span and should be replaced". Plus, no TPR valve on the tank. The water line pressure valve looks like it's leaked in the past. It needs to go.
    Ken and Jon,

Why should it be replaced? If it is working why noy let the client make that decision? So you tell you clients to spend $600-$2500 to replace things that are working at the time of inspection? Yeah a new one would be more efficient but just because it is old... I do not get it.

Chuck

The way I word it to the client is the unit is well beyond it's expected lifespan and more prone to mechanical failure...budget for it's imminent replacement.

Also, the home was over 4000sf with 5 bathrooms. We talked about how a 50 year old, 40gal WH likely will not be able to handle all that demand.

-Jon

When I see older equipment that is functioning and working properly. I advise my client of it's age and that I can not determine life remaining. Recommending to replace a water heater just because it's old is not the best advise in my opinion. Let the client make the decision if they want to replace is now or wait till later when it starts to fail, which could still be several years down the road. Those old AO smith units last longer than many other brands. Just inspected a house last week with two original AO Smiths just like the ones in the pic. They were working just fine and no signs of leaking.

Russel Ray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Errickson View Post
    The way I word it to the client is the unit is well beyond it's expected lifespan and more prone to mechanical failure...budget for it's imminent replacement.
    Imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    Imminent?
    Replace it really soon!

Is that tank really made from copper?

-Jon

It looked a lot like the one I took out of my house last winter, which was from 1952.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Frank Battle Guest

"Also, the home was over 4000sf with 5 bathrooms. We talked about how a 50 year old, 40gal WH likely will not be able to handle all that demand."

This statement provoked a thought: Have water heater sizing standards changed in response to more and more efficient plumbing and appliances? A 4,000 SF house with low-flow showers and faucets, and high efficiency appliances (washing machine and dishwasher) might need only a 40 gallon water heater. A large garden tub or jetted tub, on the other hand, can't be made any more efficient and may by itself force a larger water heater.

From this thread you can tell who the ASHI inspectors are:

2.2 Inspectors shall:
    1. report :
      1. those systems and components inspected that, in the professional judgment of the inspector, are not functioning properly, significantly deficient, unsafe, or are near the end of their service lives.
      2. recommendations to correct, or monitor for future correction, the deficiencies reported in 2.2.C.1, or items needing further evaluation. (Per Exclusion 13.2.A.5 inspectors are NOT required to determine methods, materials, or costs of corrections.)
      3. reasoning or explanation as to the nature of the deficiencies reported in 2.2.C.1, that are not self-evident.
      4. systems and components designated for inspection in these Standards of Practice that were present at the time of the home inspection but were not inspected and the reason(s) they were not inspected.
    Thus, "The water heater is beyond its predicted life span and should be replaced". You can't correct "old" so you recommend replacement.

From the State of Minnesota, second paragraph.
    Water heaters have an average life expectancy
    of 10-12 years, but they can last much longer.
    Most are not replaced until the tank fails and
    begins leaking. In many cases, however, it is
    wise to change the heater long before water
    begins leaking on the floor.
    http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDo...terHeaters.pdf

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 06-18-2010 at 01:38 PM.

[quote=Ken Rowe;134562]From this thread you can tell who the ASHI inspectors are:

Thus, "The water heater is beyond its predicted life span and should be replaced". You can't correct "old" so you recommend replacement.

/quote]

I don't think that those standards actually say you recommend replace due to age. You could also take those standards to mean reporting on older equipment and monitor for eventual replacement.

In my view, it would seem prudent to recommend the replacement of the TPR valve as I think that it's ability to properly function after all these years would be in question.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Ted Menelly Guest

Every water heater, HVAC unit, AC condenser, Disposal etc should have a stamp in the tag of the age and size of the unit. The ignorance of having to check the coded date is absolutely rediculous. Wa=hat resaon does anyone have for the manufacturers having such a foolish idea.

How about

Manufactured in 05/08/2000 WHAT THE HELL WAS THE BIG SECRET AND ANT CODE.

One oof those things that just have one shaking his head and looking things up on a sheet of codes for a particular manufacturer.

As far as those heating units........It is time to tell the client that it is time for them to go. Why hold back. A water heater 20, 25, 30 +++++ years old...It's time to go

1962 heating units with lots of internal built up rust.....it's time to go. No reason to hold back in these cases. I may make many a clients Realtor unhappy and then wonder why they do not refer me but oh well. Sometimes you just have to tell it like it is.

When times like this that are a bit slow I think about kissing A$$ but for only a half second and then realize how I would hate having that brown nose and the lingering smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post

I don't think that those standards actually say you recommend replace due to age. You could also take those standards to mean reporting on older equipment and monitor for eventual replacement.

In my view, it would seem prudent to recommend the replacement of the TPR valve as I think that it's ability to properly function after all these years would be in question.

Watch this video YouTube - Mythbusters water heater then tell me that you'd only "monitor it for future replacement".