Default gfci behind toilet

Ok, smart guys, 'splain to me what this GFCI receptacle is doing at floor level behind the toilet in this 3 year old condo, wouldja?

There were two receptacles up at the sink that were connected to the master bath GFCI.

Bathroom humor strongly encouraged.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: gfci behind toilet

Power auger for the pipes (home or human DIY "high colonic")

power flush? fan? bun-warmer (space heater)? musical seat?

update for former spouse/in-law eliminator?

Electric toilet seat cover sleeve device.

Where is the wet-zone (subject to spray and/or excessive condensation drip) in-use cover?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-19-2010 at 09:53 AM.

That's the stuff, boys. Keep it comin'.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Philip Guest

It would be interesting to know if other units have the same installation, or was this the only unit. Did someone drop some lunch on the architect's plans and it just looked liked he was supposed to put an outlet there, but it is not covered properly as pointed out. I am sure you wrote this one up, and I am curious to the language you used.

Red face Re: gfci behind toilet

potty peeker power.

chris mcintyre Guest

Redneck floor heat receptacle. (a place to plug in the hair dryer)

Kary Krismer Guest

My guess is it's for what I call a "toilet seat bidet." I assume they use power, rather than tapping the hot water supply, but the description at Amazon doesn't indicate.

Amazon.com: TOTO SW523-01 Washlet C110 Round Front Toilet Seat, Cotton White:…

Amazon.com: KOHLER K-4709-0 C3-200 Elongated Toilet Seat with Bidet Functionality and In-Line Heater, White: Home Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    ...it is not covered properly as pointed out. I am sure you wrote this one up, and I am curious to the language you used.
    I'm not sure the "wet zone" comment was meant seriously. You really think it needs a special cover? I just think it's strange and funny, but not really a problem.
    Then again, my only child is a girl. Maybe if I had brought up some boys I'd take the wet zone issue more seriously.

Kary Krismer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    Power cob dispenser, Musical litter box, Power lift seat for handicapped,
    It could also be for one of those automated cat boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kary Krismer View Post
    My guess is it's for what I call a "toilet seat bidet." I assume they use power, rather than tapping the hot water supply, but the description at Amazon doesn't indicate.
    If you look at the picture you'll clearly see a NEMA 5-15 cord and plug. Also the description mentions an "in-line heater," a "sensor" and "fan speed settings."

Last edited by Corn Walker; 06-19-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: transposition

I've go two Swash 800 seat bidet's in my home and love em! So, had to install outlets adjacent to toilet for this purpose.

http://www.brondell.com/

That's for plugging in the device that senses if you pee on the floor and then zaps you to deter you from doing that. The Goober Zapper from Ronco.

I think it's to plug in a toilet like this. This baby has a push button flush, and sells for about $4,000. A football player was buying the house with this toilet.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

This seems really obvious to me. It is there because they have been making the cords on toasters too short. Now you can have breakfast in the tub without having to get up.

Tim Fuller
    Fuller Home Inspection

He must have been a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    sells for about $4,000. A football player was buying the house with this toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    He must have been a tackle.
    Yeah, but he's lobbed a few into the super bowl, I'll bet.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

If the home has a hydro-massage tub or similar item it could be for it. I see GFCI controlled devices with outlets like that in the strangest places.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kary Krismer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I see GFCI controlled devices with outlets like that in the strangest places.
    What do you want to bet that one controls the outlets in the kitchen? ;-)

Bob Spermo Guest

I agree with Scott. They should have used the GFCI without a plug-in ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If the home has a hydro-massage tub or similar item it could be for it. I see GFCI controlled devices with outlets like that in the strangest places.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Nope.
    Well then it is one of those famous "I do not know" items for the report!!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Would this be the same 3-year post-conversion condo in the "historic building"?

Would seem so i.e. design style of the floor tile, and timing of this and another topic thread by same OP.

Point(s) is/are:

Calling same a 3-y.o. Condo leads the reader to believe we are discussing NEW construction. Conversions are not "new construction".

Converted from former apartment or TRO may be much "grandfathered" in.

IRC not used for Condos.

If you wanted some wild guesses, expanding the field abit with "historic building" former occupancy was "x" 3-years post condo conversion might have been HELPful.

Seems obvious by paint/caulk line on base trim the receptacle is a post-conversion retrofit. This poster would be concerned as to the wiring method and route used along the floor plate. This poster would likewise be concerned what the wall cavity is separating - and what other "services" are shared by said wall cavity and space.

Unit's electrical should not share the same stud space in a plumbing wall serving more than one unit. If the building has multiple floors 4+ no romex, dedicated equipment space, Junction box/face plate is not accessible, working space without removing installed fixure or surface, philly waste plumbing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I'm not sure the "wet zone" comment was meant seriously. You really think it needs a special cover? I just think it's strange and funny, but not really a problem.
    Then again, my only child is a girl. Maybe if I had brought up some boys I'd take the wet zone issue more seriously.
    IME one can experience clogs of paper and hygene materials and subsequent overflow of toilet more often with girls/women using the shared plumbing in a building than with 100% males. Condensation from tank, leaks from gasket between gasket and bowl, and spillage from the rim, spray, of cleaning solutions during CLEANING of the toilet, and of course OVERFLOW situations due to a clog & double flushing!

Frankly I could make a fine argument for this condo bathroom that the floor itself, the area behind and immediately surrounding a toilet, the face of the wall from the flood level rim and below and the plumbing wall cavity immediately behind the toilet are less than dry zones. The method and type of wall base is not impervious to water (not a sanitary base) nor does the base/wall finish have a 1/8 gap or less either (if a perimeter wall of the condo unit).

However, the receptacle face is NOT protected or separated via a wall, cabinet wall, etc. from the water level of the bowl of the toilet above, nor the flood level rim of same. It is directly under the tank, to which CONDENSATION is a REGULAR situation. The inaccessible, non-dedicated location under the toilet is NOT A DRY ONE, the face of the receptacle is not protected from condensation drips or overflow or "user dribble/splash".

If a common wall might be tapped into building system electrical.

Back to the WAGs(wild Azz Guesses):

Hook-up for boot-leg porable combo clothes washer/condensing dryer Discharge from washtub to tub or toilet. Perhaps not permitted to have in units via CC&Rs/Declarations. Would explain the non-compliant location install of receptacle.

DIY receptacle for an electric towel bar/warmer or combo towel warmer/radiant space heater (mounted on the wall).

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-21-2010 at 10:17 AM.

cliff kornegay Guest

Talking Re: gfci behind toilet

I see them all the time in recently renovated condo buildings. I've never seen them used, but I've been told they were for heated toilet seats...

U's wouldn't believe it, butt I saws one on an inspection a month ago.
    Seems the engineer (homeowner) just returned to the states (working in Germany for some years, if I recall) and he had this 'mother of all crappers'
    installed in his new addition.
    It had a control panel, of all things, next to the toil, and insisted on giving me a demonstration (with his pants on, all right?)!

A butt-on that raised or lowered the lids, flushed, heated, and a little something for the lady of the house, which, I'll let yer imagination run with....
    He told me that they were 'big into toilets' over there.
    Bob Smit, County EI

Philip Guest

I was also thrown off with "new construction", while thinking the floor was probably put down in the 20's. The commode does not look like the Japanese invention that requires no toilet paper, but uses a warm jet of water to cleanse, and a dryer to refresh. I would think that these units would have to be wired from a box with GFIC, and not just simple plug it in capabilities.

I was also thrown off with "new construction", while thinking the floor was probably put down in the 20's. The commode does not look like the Japanese invention that requires no toilet paper, but uses a warm jet of water to cleanse, and a dryer to refresh. I would think that these units would have to be wired from a box with GFIC, and not just simple plug it in capabilities.
    There are toilet seat add-ons that use a cord and plug. See the links posted earlier in this thread. I've also seen toilets that are cord and plug attached.

My first encounter with one of these types of things was in a hotel outside of Tokyo. As I understand it, they allow you to use much less paper while providing a "refreshing" feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    There are toilet seat add-ons that use a cord and plug. See the links posted earlier in this thread. I've also seen toilets that are cord and plug attached.

My first encounter with one of these types of things was in a hotel outside of Tokyo. As I understand it, they allow you to use much less paper while providing a "refreshing" feeling.
    Well, I'd still want a bowel towel after the reverse shower, eh?

www.allsafehome.ca

Got pics? Sure, I got pics.

www.allsafehome.ca

Philip Guest

Question Re: gfci behind toilet

Johh, should not that plug be a GFCI and 'wet' protected.

Peter Gilvarry Guest

Most likely for a heated toilet seat bidet device.

I have one and we wired an outlet near the toilet and powered it from a GFCI breaker so that one does not have to get down and reset it by climbing behind the toilet.

The outlet for the heated towel rail is co-located and powered seperately by a GFCI breaker.

Both came with 3 pin 15A plugs, passed inspection.

If you have never tried one of these seats you havemissed something. I worked all over Japan for many years, they are everywhere there, especially in hotels. Mine is a Toto.

Johh, should not that plug be a GFCI and 'wet' protected.
    I believe it was a GFCI outlet. The little probe would be shocking enough, IMO.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I believe it was a GFCI outlet...
    Yep. Hence the thread title "gfci behind toilet".

Philip Guest

Duh...

Hi (All) &

Well - good "guessing", all right, but believe James R. got it first (whether just lucky, or insightful)...

Up 'here', anyway, in B. C., Canada - The SAFERhome Society SAFERhome Standards Society has put in-place a relatively new 19-point Criteria for 'Aging-in-Place' & for Builders to qualify for their special Certification. Not CODE as yet - just encouraged and voluntary - but may well be "coming".

Point /Criteria #12 calls for a GFCI-protected outlet beside each toilet for:

- future automated type ('self-cleaning & personal hygeine', for those unable to use their own hands - heaven forbid); and

- personal lifting technologies (on & off the seat)

Hope this doesn't dampen the hiliarious, creative thought process, or make you imagine yourself needing such a set-up...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Lou Romano Guest

This whole thread is in the crapper!