Andy Jarchow Guest

Default Continuous flashing used on downward slope of roof to wall connection.

Hello all,

How much should I stress that continuous flashing should not be used in this application (pic) below (downward slope of the roof to wall connection). Should I say improperly flashed and leave it at that or recommend it be replaced with step flashing right away?

Also what can I suggest for penetrations through shingles into the sheathing? Like nails holding downspout (pic below) or those satellite dishes you see all the time just lagged through the roofing material into the sheathing.

Thank you for your suggestion!
    mk

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Continuous flashing used on downward slope of roof to wall connection.

I'd just say it's wrong, and call for repairs by a competent roofer.

Default Re: Continuous flashing used on downward slope of roof to wall connection.

FWIW, Here's how I report the lags:

Observation: (RR) The satellite dish on the roof is attached by means of lag screws through the roof membrane. See attached picture in the report body for identification.

Analysis: This is the usual method of attachment employed by satellite dish installers, but it is incorrect as it can damage roofing materials (such as the wood sheathing below the shingles) and may void the shingle manufacturer's warranty if water enters through the screw holes. The correct method of attachment will depend on the roof membrane's material and location and the roof's slope. For some some shingle roofs one better method of attachment is to use a special roof mount with integral flashing specifically intended for this purpose. See for example: Dish Mounting System - Commdeck - RSTC Enterprises .

Recommendation: Have a qualified and insured person remove this satellite dish, or have them reinstall it at a location approved by and using methods recommend by the satellite dish and roof covering manufacture, and then have a qualified and insured person patch the roof as required.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

In addition to recommending correction, I would also note the use of roofing cement, explain that such repairs are often evidence of previous leakage and are seldom permanent, and that I cannot predict if or when leaks may reoccur at this location - and especially at a corner like that.

More generally, I think its very important to explain the client both verbally during the inspection and again later in the written report the limitations of inspections at these kinds of wall to roof junctions.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Andy Jarchow Guest

Sounds good. Thank you
    mk

There's nothing wrong with recommending step flashings, IMO. Step flashings are recognized as the correct way to flash those areas. You're not really designing the repair, just describing the standard.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Andy Jarchow Guest

Thank you

2006 IRC R905.2.8.4 Sidewall Flashing. Flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be by the step-flashing method.