Thread: Truss junction

Anthony Alderman Guest

Default Truss junction

The end of this section of truss is not physically attached to the truss on this hip roof. It is like this on both ends. My question.....should it be or not???

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Truss junction

Hard to say from the pictures... Personally, I tread pretty lightly on this type of stuff since a lot of things are engineered and, unless you have (and can understand) the plans, you really don't know.

It's going way beyond what we say we're doing and are qualified to do and can quickly lead to you looking bad. Of course that's just my $.02.... your mileage may vary.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Alderman View Post
    The end of this section of truss is not physically attached to the truss on this hip roof. It is like this on both ends. My question.....should it be or not???
    A little confusing when you say "the end of this section of truss", if you are referring to the field applied purlins it is possible that they are toenailed from the top. Most truss plans (at least the ones that I have seen) do not specify means of attachment or hangers. As best I can tell from the pictures everything else appears to be fine.

I believe in general 2X4's on the flat are considered to be nailers rather than structural rafters. In other words, they don't need to carry a lot of weight. It is a way of building to a minimum standard rather than over building like we may be used to.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Anthony Alderman Guest

Question Re: Truss junction

That was my thinking but the elderly ladies nephew was there and is a "contractor" of some sort. He made a big deal out of it and got the little ladies all upset. So I'm torn as to what to do. I would not have called it, my thinking, like you John, is nailers. 2x4's laid flat are nailers or strong backs. I'm befuddled as to how to handle this.... any ideas???