GREGORYCLAUDE Guest

Exclamation Part time employment or contract

I just compled a course in Home Inspection,looking for part time employment in Hamptonroads VA.Please contact me.
    Thank You
    G Claude

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Part time employment or contract

First off, welcome to the board Gregory.

I'm thinking of a way to proceed here without sounding insulting. PLease don't take this wrong, because I don't intend it to sound as mean as it probably will.

I used to get calls several times a month asking if I was hiring. Since the real estate crash, I haven't heard from anyone looking for work in a couple years.

I have to ask what prompted you to take a home inspection class? The home inspection business across the country has pretty much tanked for the last couple of years. I think inspection companies have gone out of business in record numbers, all over the country.

The other part of my question comes from someone that just wants to do inspections on a part time basis. Did you do the math and decide that you could work a couple hours a week/month and get an extra $500 or so?

The final part comes from a guy that has hired inspectors over the years. I would have a very hard time hiring someone that had just taken a class, and had no experience.

Sorry if this sounds harsh.

Jack was being polite.

I personally would suggest you keep your day job.

One can be Home Inspector book smart and not know a thing in the Home Inspection field. Was that harsh?

rick

Ray LePera Guest

Well thanks a lot Rick and Jack for that wonderful vote of encouragemant. And I'm going to try and refrain my use of language.You may not have sounded harsh or insulting, but I do find a lack of respect.
    See, guys like Gregory and myself who are trying to break into the business are making a lot of effort and investment in doing so and deserve the credit. Yeah, the economy is bad and my class with AHIT had seven guys, all from different areas of construction who are "prompted" to salvage something of their former careers. I "did my math" and if you've got facts of these "record numbers" of unemployed home inspectors, present them. If not, keep your negative opinions to yourself as some of us continue to move FORWARD. It's not like we're guys from BP trying to sell oil.
    As far as hiring someone with no experience, let me tell you something. You're no better than any employer in any other field who is destroying their own industry by not giving a little investment into the future. You learn by doing! How did you guys find somebody to take a chance on you and help you get "experience"? Again, I'm restraining myself with my own answer to that question.
    Good luck Gregory. Believe what's in your heart and don't let certain individuals tear down your hopes and dreams.

Bob Spermo Guest

Ray,

Hope you getting some practical experience with a competent inspector. I quickley figured out that after completing my Texas required training and passing the test I was not really qualified until I got some on the job training.

By the way approximatley 40% of licensed home inspectors in Texas are now either inactive or license is expired. I believe this is because of the economy and the Texas required E & O isurance for inspectors.

Ray,

What you might not be understanding is this is the worst time any of us have seen in the real estate market "overall" in a long time. I fortunate its not as bad here in Dallas as many other communities.

Another thing, most of the HI's on here have started out on their own and had to figure out the ropes for themselves without any help. I hear from so many myself who get right out of school and expect it to fall right into their lap or expect a seasoned HI to just tell them how to make it. Last week I had 2 calls wanting to know if they could copy my contracts. I paid good money for attorneys to write mine up. I suggested they do the same.

Your right about BP persons though. It won't be long before some of them think about HI school.

Best of luck to buddy.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ray LePera View Post
    Well thanks a lot Rick and Jack for that wonderful vote of encouragemant. And I'm going to try and refrain my use of language.You may not have sounded harsh or insulting, but I do find a lack of respect.
    See, guys like Gregory and myself who are trying to break into the business are making a lot of effort and investment in doing so and deserve the credit. Yeah, the economy is bad and my class with AHIT had seven guys, all from different areas of construction who are "prompted" to salvage something of their former careers. I "did my math" and if you've got facts of these "record numbers" of unemployed home inspectors, present them. If not, keep your negative opinions to yourself as some of us continue to move FORWARD. It's not like we're guys from BP trying to sell oil.
    As far as hiring someone with no experience, let me tell you something. You're no better than any employer in any other field who is destroying their own industry by not giving a little investment into the future. You learn by doing! How did you guys find somebody to take a chance on you and help you get "experience"? Again, I'm restraining myself with my own answer to that question.
    Good luck Gregory. Believe what's in your heart and don't let certain individuals tear down your hopes and dreams.
    Ray you need to chill... Jack and Rick are some of the good guys on this board and in the profession, they can be very helpful. We all started at ground Zero.

I see you are in FL, I have no idea what part and I'm sure you are aware of the new FL home inspector license law. I have heard estimates that the number of home inspectors in FL is somewhere in the 4,000 range statewide. After licensing takes hold and if history repeats itself as it has in other states you will see that number go up by about 30% the first couple of years. Then it will drop down tremendously and usually below the starting level.

In TN (my state) we hit right at 1100 inspectors in the first 3 years, now we are down to around 400 statewide and they are still dropping every day.

Do some research on the number of homes sold in your area and then findout how many home inspectors are in the area. Divide the number of home sales by 2 and then divide that number of home sales by the number of home inspectors. This should give you a good idea of about how many homes you might be able to inspect once folks know about you.

Times are tough. Last week I had 3 inspections this week I have none on the books, I have a radon test and a few bank inspections and that is it so far for this week. I have just about run out of things to do around the house that do not require a ton of money!

In April I had 22 inspections, May I had 27 inspections on the books and unless something happens quick, in the Month of June I will have 11. I'm also in a pretty good area that has not been hit as hard as other parts of the country, folks are just not or can't buy homes like they did in pre 2006 days.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by GREGORYCLAUDE View Post
    I just compled a course in Home Inspection,looking for part time employment in Hamptonroads VA.Please contact me.
    Thank You
    G Claude
    Check the larger multi-inspector firms. You have a very good Amerispec franchise in VA Beach.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ray,
    I didn't think my post was showing a lack of respect. I was honestly asking questions about why Gregory chose to get into a profession that is about the worst it has been in a decade or so.

Scott gave you some numbers about guys going out of business. If you doubt them, just pick up the yellow pages from last year and com[are them with this years. Then call all the listings, and see how many are disconnected numbers. Also pay attention to the ones that answer on the first ring and have an opening right away.

While I'm at it, I might as well take issue with your idiotic premise that someone should give you a break and hire you on without any experience. Our businesses are built on reputation. It's very hard to build that reputation, and keep it. Why would I want to subject myself to a higher than normal liability by taking on someone that has little or no experience? In case you haven't realized it, a lot of clients want to find the slightest little thing to complain about, and want to either collect money to correct those issues, or take you to court.
    Like a lot of the guys on this forum, I started out on my own in 1989. I did an inspection for a friend. I then went about building my business, and learning what I could.
    While it is true you learn by doing, my point is I don't want to hire someone to "learn" on my dime, and under my liability. I don't expect you to understand this, and you won't for several years.

Here is how it goes, and if you don't believe me, see how many others chime in and agree with me on this following point.

It will take a while, but you will reach the magic number of 100 inspections. You will feel you really accomplished something, and you have. However, if you think about it, those first 10 - 20 inspections were probably not all that great considering what you know now. In fact, you will probably realize that you missed some stuff.
    My next goal was 250 because I needed that to join ASHI. However, thinking back, maybe those first 25 or so inspections could have been better.
    Then you will hit 500 and look back on those first 100 and laugh to yourself, and be very happy you missed getting sued or had to make any payouts.

My point is we all learn from doing, and keep learning. I'm in my 21st year and after several thousand inspections I'm still learning, and sharpening my skills.
    So, I'm a bad guy in your eyes because I don't want to have that increased liability by hiring a new guy that doesn't really know nearly as much as he thinks he does.

For the record, I have mentored more inspectors than you probably know, and logged more miles giving ride alongs than you drive on summer vacation.

By the way, respect is earned.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray LePera View Post
    Ray

What's up man

What are you so tender footed for. Just to be a home inspector or to start any business I suggest you hook yourself onto the bumper of your truck and let you get dragged down the road by your wife, brother, friend. You need to get some crust bult up so you can take a few kicks and punches.

As far as the highlighted area......You sound like we or all inspectors owe you something and by not hiring you we the home inspectors, trying to keep at least a little work, do not and cannot afford to hire you or we would be giving away tomorrows lunch.

Understand what folks are telling you. With an attitude and come backs like you have do you really think anyone will hire you. You are literally are asking for work from the guys you are telling to go pound sand up their backsides.

Not investing in our future.......I think you have been told the market sucks right now and by all intelligent honest thinkers out there it is still going to get worse before it gets better.

Florida......why on earth would you want to become a home inspector in one of the worst markets in the country. Sounds like you did not do any thinking ahead or market analysis before you jumped out there thinking about the 100,000 you were going to make your first year.

The reason why you are so edgy and literally looking for work from someone else is because reality is setting in about the decision you made maybe not being the best one you made in some time.

Before you jump on me or anyone else look in the mirror and rationalize a little. Most folks want to know the real story and not have their heads filled with pie in the sky dreams like many (it appears) already feed you.

Reality is. Worse market in decades.

Reality is. You being new are a high liability.

Reality is. The school you went to should have given you the good, the bad and the ugly so you would know what course to take.

Personalty, the school knowing you were from Florida with a seriously down and dirty market, should have talked you out of your decision instead of saying thank you very much for your couple grand. Now that we have you money, market, market, market, market and then market some more. When you spent every dime you put away over the next six months trying to get your schooling, marketing, equipment, website etc etc etc etc ....come and see me and I will give you a high risk loan at 30% with everything else you own as collateral.

It will cost you thousands to stay in business because there will be just that slight lack of work not to mention all the money that you wiull need to spend to get all that work you hope for.

Now...those are the real stories. Now that you have them and the pie in the sky you will have a better understanding of what you are getting into and you will be able to plan better.

"refrain my use of language"

Huh, what the heck are you talking about. Refrain from what, for what.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Ray

What's up man

What are you so tender footed for. Just to be a home inspector or to start any business I suggest you hook yourself onto the bumper of your truck and let you get dragged down the road by your wife, brother, friend. You need to get some crust bult up so you can take a few kicks and punches.

As far as the highlighted area......You sound like we or all inspectors owe you something and by not hiring you we the home inspectors, trying to keep at least a little work, do not and cannot afford to hire you or we would be giving away tomorrows lunch.

Understand what folks are telling you. With an attitude and come backs like you have do you really think anyone will hire you. You are literally are asking for work from the guys you are telling to go pound sand up their backsides.

Not investing in our future.......I think you have been told the market sucks right now and by all intelligent honest thinkers out there it is still going to get worse before it gets better.

Florida......why on earth would you want to become a home inspector in one of the worst markets in the country. Sounds like you did not do any thinking ahead or market analysis before you jumped out there thinking about the 100,000 you were going to make your first year.

The reason why you are so edgy and literally looking for work from someone else is because reality is setting in about the decision you made maybe not being the best one you made in some time.

Before you jump on me or anyone else look in the mirror and rationalize a little. Most folks want to know the real story and not have their heads filled with pie in the sky dreams like many (it appears) already feed you.

Reality is. Worse market in decades.

Reality is. You being new are a high liability.

Reality is. The school you went to should have given you the good, the bad and the ugly so you would know what course to take.

Personalty, the school knowing you were from Florida with a seriously down and dirty market, should have talked you out of your decision instead of saying thank you very much for your couple grand. Now that we have you money, market, market, market, market and then market some more. When you spent every dime you put away over the next six months trying to get your schooling, marketing, equipment, website etc etc etc etc ....come and see me and I will give you a high risk loan at 30% with everything else you own as collateral.

It will cost you thousands to stay in business because there will be just that slight lack of work not to mention all the money that you wiull need to spend to get all that work you hope for.

Now...those are the real stories. Now that you have them and the pie in the sky you will have a better understanding of what you are getting into and you will be able to plan better.

"refrain my use of language"

Huh, what the heck are you talking about. Refrain from what, for what.
    Hey Ted, the values are down, the numbers of homes being sold at least in SW Florida is greater than it was in 2004-2005. Since we dont get paid per sales price, whats the problem?

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    Hey Ted, the values are down, the numbers of homes being sold at least in SW Florida is greater than it was in 2004-2005. Since we dont get paid per sales price, whats the problem?

In the last month it jumped up 20 to 23 percent in the Tampa Clearwater area. Miami is still way down on sales. People are still getting destroyed on the price of there home.

A temporary jump in home sales does not make a good market. A flood of foreclosures were a large portion of them are still selling for more than what a new home can be built and sold for, in some areas, does not make a good market.

If you are in dream land that the worse is over instead of looking out at the big picture than your future planning is way off.

Like I said in my post. The reality is that people have to be given the entire story not just the bloated hype. That is not being negative. That is being real. No investor goes out and dumps all his money on an item without looking at the entire market for that item. If you do not know the good , the bad and the ugly before stepping out into the world then you are in serious trouble.

When I ask advise about a particular matter I am not going to go to the person that has a vested interest in making money by selling me a bill of goods. I will go to the person that is going to tell it like it is. Even if it is negative news or not. As long as it is the whole story. Like I said. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Housing market in some areas in Florida just took a spike up.....just. That does not make a good market.

I have a daughter, niece, multiple cousins and aunts and uncles spread throughout Florida. Florida is not in recovery yet.

[quote=Ray LePera;135463]See, guys like Gregory and myself who are trying to break into the business are making a lot of effort and investment in doing so and deserve the credit.[/quote]

Deserve credit for what? You paid a school to teach you the basics of building construction in two weeks. You decided to attempt to start a new business while that industry is in the worst down turn in 25 years with no previous experience or knowledge. Oh, you get credit. Probably not the kind you may want.

Yeah, the economy is bad and my class with AHIT had seven guys, all from different areas of construction who are "prompted" to salvage something of their former careers.

Ok, so people with backgrounds in construction got laid off or fired due to a horrible houseing market crash. They are trying to parlay their experience into something. Just because other people gave money to the same school does not make them or you any smarter.

I "did my math" and if you've got facts of these "record numbers" of unemployed home inspectors, present them. If not, keep your negative opinions to yourself as some of us continue to move FORWARD.

In the last two years, 25% of licensed home inspectors did not renew their license in my state. 1/4 of all home inspectors stopped inspecting. Several of months ago, there were 1000 closings a month in my county. 250 inspectors in the same county. Even if every closing was inspected, that is only 4 inspections per inspector per month. Only about half of closings get inspected.

As far as hiring someone with no experience, let me tell you something. You're no better than any employer in any other field who is destroying their own industry by not giving a little investment into the future. You learn by doing!

I believe you have that whole cart and horse thing mixed up again. The industry was devastated by Fredie Mac and Mannie Mae closing up shop. When experienced HIs can barely make ends meet, why would we want to bring more people in to the field to dilute the already slim pickings? We are investing in the future by taking additional training, streamlining the business, adding new advertising channels, etc. Training newbies is very low on the list of priorities when wondering about if there will be enough inspections to pay the mortgage.

How did you guys find somebody to take a chance on you and help you get "experience"?

I paid someone to mentor me. Yeah, I paid an experienced home inspector as a consultant to get me up and running. 1/2 of every fee was our deal. Really stung the time the client stiffed me and I still had to pay half the fee to the consultant. I generated the leads and clients, scheduled the inspections, and then we did the inspections together. First several were more him and less me. As time went on, it swapped around. Eventually I had enough experience that I could fire the consultant. Still took couple of years to develop a business that would support me and my family.

You are probably a nice enough fella with great intentions to start a new business. The truth is that the industry is in a slump and it is probably the worst time in history to attempt to enter this field. I know you want us to pump you up and congratulate you but it ain't gonna happen. Until I am turning away business every week, I don't need any newbies tagging along.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

GREGORYCLAUDE Guest

Post Re: Part time employment or contract

Greetings;
    I understanding the market is down, But I believe there is opportunity
    out there. The home Inspection course along with my construction
    experience will be helpful in obtaining employment. A person is not a
    failure untill he or she gives up, A positive mind will win out. You did
    not become successful on your own,It would be very helpful for you
    to help someone else get started in the business. Its still a Gold mine
    out there.

Greetings;
    out there.

You are correct. It took having a very understanding wife and kids that didn't get to see their dad sometimes till 9pm. or later cause I was out busting my arse to make it on my own. I learned the old fashioned way of hard knocks and learning from my own mistakes. Successful? Yes I am.

Hope you get there too. Remember most overnight successful businesses only take 20yrs. to do.

rick

Eric Russell Guest

Greetings;
    out there.
    Right now the opportunity is out there for people with loads of cash to be buying up foreclosures and such and sitting on em until the economy reverses course. That home inspection course you took was very basic. I know...I took it 4 years ago. I've worked in bldg. construction for the past 21 years as a firefighter/fire inspector and if I didn't have that as my primary income and my wife working, I would have closed the HI doors the second year. These guys are trying to be practical and forthright with you. Your const. experience will be useful in getting you a job in the construction field or at Home Depot. It is an asset in the HI field, but is not a guarantee. Those big $$$$ you saw only come with many years of proven reliability and professionalism. Unless you got a realtor in your pocket, you'll have to sweet talk them into giving you referrals and that's not an easy thing in these hard times. Truth is, here in TN, I'm one of the lucky ones. My FF job pays the bills and make enough to cover my overhead and that's it. As for the positive mind, its great, but unless you can live without it, you'll have to eat it to stay afloat. I have done it on my own. No ride alongs, no mentors. But, as I said, w/o the firefighter job and my wife working, I would be walking down the road with my hat in my hand talking to myself. LISTEN to these guys. They're out there struggling to make ends meet every day! Give up the condescending attitude!

Greetings;
    It would be very helpful for you
    out there.
    Gold mine out there??
    You may want to check out one of the advertizers on this site.
    For only $289 a year they will make you feel good, if you want to find that gold mine all you have to do is send them a few extra thousand.
    After they drain your bank account, by convincing you need to pay for additional training and useless marketing crap, they will assue you will soon find the gold mine.

Hmm, or is it they found another sucker to fund their empty gold mine.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I understanding the market is down, But I believe there is opportunity out there.
    Ok, you are free to believe anything you like but you might consider listening to people who are actually out there doing the job.

The home Inspection course along with my construction experience will be helpful in obtaining employment.

You are now qualifed to work at the big Orange Box or the big Blue Box.

A person is not a failure untill he or she gives up, A positive mind will win out. You did not become successful on your own,It would be very helpful for you to help someone else get started in the business. Its still a Gold mine out there.

Your right. I did not make it on my own. I had a wife who paid the bills until I was able to. I invested in hiring a business consultant to get me started. If the market could tolerate more inspectors, then I would be willing to help. Good luck finding the Gold Mine. The people making the most money in home inspections are the schools, not the inspectors. Have you thought about opening a home inspection school?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

"It would be very helpful for you
    to help someone else get started in the business."
    Could you please list the huge benefits I might find by helping someone get started in the HI business?

Please feel free to counter my list as you go.
    1. I should train you so you can later take business from me? You can insert PICK MY POCKET instead of take business.
    2. I should take you on, so you can learn real inspecting skills, and "practice" on my clients, and bring down MY reputation by doing a lesser quality inspection?
    3. I should increase my liability for lawsuits by taking on a newbie, that is sure to make mistakes and omissions?
    4. I should waste my time trying to show you things when you are fresh out of your "training class" with your "construction skills" and already think you know everything?

NO thanks, I have had enough warm fuzzies doing all of the above before.