Default Water Heater on Wood Floor

Hi:

Quick question - Can propane fired water heaters be placed on combustible flooring?

And while I'm at it - Can direct vented (vents to the outdoors) room heaters be installed in bedrooms?

Thanks,
    Joe

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Water Heater on Wood Floor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Arcaro View Post
    Hi:

Quick question - Can propane fired water heaters be placed on combustible flooring?

And while I'm at it - Can direct vented (vents to the outdoors) room heaters be installed in bedrooms?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Is the direct vent heater also receiving its combustion air from the exterior? If not as AD said, No..... But, if it does receive its combustion air from the exterior/outside then it is OK.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    M2005.2 Prohibited locations.
    Fuel-fired water heaters shall
    not be installed in a room used as a storage closet.Water heaters
    located in a bedroom or bathroom shall be installed in a sealed
    enclosure so that combustion air will not be taken from the living
    space. Installation of direct-vent water heaters within an enclosure
    is not required.

A bedroom is not a storage closet....

We see direct vent gas fireplace type heaters all the time that meet the sealed requirement.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Chuck Lambert Guest

Hi:

Thanks,
    Joe
    As Scott stated if the combustion air is drawn from the exterior also, then all is ok.

chuck

(adding highlighting in red text)

M2005.2 Prohibited locations.
    Fuel-fired water heaters shall

not be installed in a room used as a storage closet.Water heaters
    located in a bedroom or bathroom shall be installed in a sealed
    enclosure so that combustion air will not be taken from the living
    space. Installation of direct-vent water heaters within an enclosure
    is not required.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

And while I'm at it - Can direct vented ...
    He did not say direct-vent, ...

I dunno, Aaron, but "Can direct vented" sure sounds like it means the same as "direct-vent" to me.

Maybe you have some New English, similar to New Math, which means different things than 'plain old English' does?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I can see why the OP is concerned in photo #1, above, significant sooting from flame roll out, see evidence of water on uncovered plywood subfloor. NG and Propane tank type water heaters aren't interchangable without modification (select few are "allowed" to be modified in the field). Higher altitudes also require modifications for most tank type water heaters.

Where in the world are you Joe Arcaro? This "bedroom" looks more like a converted attic, done quite some time ago.

I don't know why there is any confustion on the photographed room "heater" in photo #2 below, or the OP's second and distinct question - it has nothing to do with water heaters don't know why someone is quoting direct vented water heater IRC code sections, there is no way that first picture (water heater) is a direct vent appliance, and no way that second appliance is a "water heater". We don't even know where in the world the OP is:

The expanded metal open front "heater" is obviously old. IF it is propane or natural gas fired, doubt there is any O2 sensor, CO, cut-off, it would use room air for combustion, does not have a "sealed" combustion chamber (so it isn't a direct-vent anything, presuming there would even be an exhaust vent).

No, this "heater" should NOT be in a bedroom, in a corner abutting combustible wall covering (what's that 1-1/2 broom-handle's clearance?, and nested between bed/window and wall, sitting on carpet.

It is a fire/scald-burn hazard; and if fuel-fired a CO (carbon monoxide) hazard. Esp. dangerous in a sleeping room.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 06-29-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Hi:

The building in question was built in 1991. It is a real backwoods place. Generator electric; shallow well; etc. Built by an older (70 year old) inventor kind of guy. Not built to any building standards. Millions of things wrong.

Plumbing is basically two 50 gallon plastic drums at the upper level, that gravity feeds to fixtures throughout the cabin. The plastic drums are filled by the shallow well and pump.

The water heater was located at the finished upper level. It was a basic water heater vented to the outside. I mentioned everything that you guys said - soot at burn chamber, may not have been converted to propane, stain on floor, etc. I did not mention the copper propane line, for this is common here in the UP of MIchigan. What I got from your replies is that the location of the water heater is acceptable.

The direct vent propane room heaters are vented to the outside. The data plates on the units said they were direct vent. The units met clearance to combustibles. The data tags said nothing about not being allowed in bedrooms, so I got to thinking if this is acceptable.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the replies.

Joe

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images