Roni Litmanovic Guest

Default Water penetration wood flooring

We did an inspection yesterday in an unoccupied 4000sq2 apartment, where we found water stains on a section of some woodflooring, adjecent to a wall which also had water stains. We were told by the seller realtor that it was due to condensation caused by the apartment below, which apparantly keeps their AC unit on all day, causing the unoccupied, humid woodfloor to condense. The wood flooring is a laid a top a plywood sheet, which is laid on the concrete structural flooring. IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Water penetration wood flooring

Sounds bogus to me.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Was it wet? Take a picture. Have the broker sign the picture stating whatever she says is the cause in writing. That will get a "well your the home inspector" and you answer. " yes, prescisely" Sherlock!

Quote Originally Posted by Roni Litmanovic View Post
    We did an inspection yesterday in an unoccupied 4000sq2 apartment, where we found water stains on a section of some woodflooring, adjecent to a wall which also had water stains. We were told by the seller realtor that it was due to condensation caused by the apartment below, which apparantly keeps their AC unit on all day, causing the unoccupied, humid woodfloor to condense. The wood flooring is a laid a top a plywood sheet, which is laid on the concrete structural flooring. IS THIS POSSIBLE???
    I guess anything is possible but the apt. below would have to be as cold as a meat locker and have a significant amount of air exhange going on between the two units. Personally I would look for other possible explanations rather than accept the one given by the seller's agent.

By the way, was the area actually wet or were these just old dry stains?

Dog pee! Cat pee! Human pee! Watering plants!

The above list would be my target suspects. Dry urine will still attract moisture due to the salts in the urine making urine hygroscopic.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

If there is water staining on the wall nearby, there could be your source for the water on the flooring.

We find water stains on walls are usually caused from some type of leakage at the roof. Most common is leakage around the sewer vent pipes.

Was there a laundry room near this area, a bathroom where a toilet or tub could have over-flowed. The possibilites are many.

The idea of it coming from below as someone else said sounds bogus.

Remember, an agent most likely will tell you anything to sell a place. Never bank on their information but base your findings on your inspection. Use the force.

Brian M Jones Guest

Let me see if I got this straight.....
    wood floor on top of plywood on top of concrete slab;
    A/C unit running constantly on floor below, supposedly causing water stains on floor and wall in above unit;
    If I read this right, my first question would be: Did the laws of gravity get suspended for just this apartment/condo unit?
    Second question would be; could the agent send me some of those drugs she's on?

Roni Litmanovic Guest

Thanks.....