Default Joist Hangers...these look like roofing nails

This mornings deck...all the joist hanger nails at the house ledger look like roofing nails to me...is there anyway I'm seeing this incorrectly? Do they look like roofing nails to you?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Joist Hangers...these look like roofing nails

Very possible! You may need to look at the joist hangers too. They may be undersized for the joist they are supporting.

They're not hanger nails that I've ever seen.... and those hangers look like 2X6 max (can't tell for sure) and the joists are 2X8??

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    This mornings deck...all the joist hanger nails at the house ledger look like roofing nails to me...is there anyway I'm seeing this incorrectly? Do they look like roofing nails to you?
    I think they are roofing nails! I would call them out as improper nails or fasteners for the joist hangers and let the powers to be prove me wrong.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

They (Simpson) makes hanger nails which are short and do not go all the way through the joist, however, ... those nails basically look like 10d or 12d common nails cut off to 1-1/2" long ... meaning the heads are regular size and regular thickness.

THOSE nails in the photos do look like roofing nails with that wide and thin head.

Did you also notice the toe nails?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, I noticed the toe nails, which may, when combined with the improper nails used in the under sized hangers provide sufficient connection, but I'm not going to make that call. I assume once a component is brought into the project it needs to be installed PMI.

Thanks for the replies.